1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford F-150 for plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Pjslawncare1, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Pjslawncare1

Pjslawncare1 Member

Would you guys recommend an F-150 for plow at all.....my gut says no but in the meantime I'm looking for an F-250....just seeing if you guys would recommend it or have an F-150 with a plow....

2. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Well, if you already have an F-150 4x4, you can plow as long as it's something light duty such as Fisher's RD (SD) series plows! The plows need to be within the carrying capacity of the trucks front end. :waving:
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You need to sell the f150 and get an 3/4 ton for what you want to do.
    As for plows get at least an 8fter..
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

3/4 better but if you want to use the 1/2 ton it can be done. Match it to a Snoway 26 series w/down pressure, a Fisher LD (the RD/HD will eat your front end) or a Boss sport duty.

I'm a Snoway fan so that would be my choice, but boss makes a nice plow also

5. M&M

M&M Senior Member

My old truck was a 95 chevy 1500 with 220K miles on it 7 1/2 ft fisher and plowed an average of 30 driveways per storm for it's entire life. Yes, I did my fair share of repairs but it still has life in it. I have no doubt that a 3/4 ton will hold up better but the you can clear a lot of accounts with a 1/2 ton.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

3/4 or bigger is always better than the 1/2 ton due to front/rear load capacity, ball joints/bearings and such.

I don't have a GOOD truck yet, so I slaped a 7.6 meyer St with prowings on my 98 f150. Installed timbrens, got studded snow tires, over 500# ballast, helper springs in the rear, and this thing pushes pretty darn well. By the way, the plow weight's 656# with 70# pro-wings.

I only do medium commercial size lots, banks, super markets, strip malls. The only problem I've had so far with the truck is when a brake caliper bolt snapped in half while plowing. While I don't highly recommend it...I think people on this site are informed, but a little TOO hesitant to put a nice plow on a 1/2 ton, which is reasonable.

IMO-i would slap any plow on that 1/2 ton up to about 750#...I know i'll hear it for this. but I think my truck handles the plow like a champ... I can push snow higher than the roof of my truck!
  7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

A 1/2 ton will work fine. you will wear out F end parts sooner.. but plowing income will more than make up for that. I used a F150 with a fisher RD 7 1/2 plow for 1 year then went to jeeps for driveways. My Friend used a F150 for 12 years with a Fisher RD 7 1/2. He was an ANIMAL with it, as a result kept braking halve shafts.
  8. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

It depends on why you are buying the truck. If you are only buying the truck to plow, then just get a 3/4 ton. I plow with my F-150 because it is also my daily driver. It does a great job, just stick with a light duty plow as the others suggested.
  9. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

get a big boy truck:salute:
  10. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

the 150 will work fine, a bigger truck is always nice, but not really necessary.
  11. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

truck prices are at an all time low, i saw an F-350 with a dually, utlity body set up ,nice shape 6,000 thats cheap

you could put a plow on your 150, and be ok, but your going to wear parts quickly, and your choices of snow plows are more limited... for the price you will spend in mods and repairs to the 150 , you could just buy a 3/4 ton or bigger, i got one with the plow for 4,000 in good shape - just shop around

otherwise a light weight snow way plow would be a good way to go
  12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Used 3/4 tons will never be cheaper than they are right now.

Let me ask you this?
    Do you plain to grow this business or are you just going to plow the friends and family plan?
    Just the "Friends and Family Plain"? Then your1 /'2 ton will work.

Have you given any thought about those parking lots/sidewalks they may want you to spread salt?

The weight of even the lightest plow + ballast + salt+ snow blower+ mic tools and possibly a spreader will put you way over your gvwr.

Take a look around how many contractors do you see using 1/2 tons.
    Other than painters...

You can plow with a garden tractor. also...;)
  13. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I plowed with an F-150 for a few years. They work great with a lighter plow but the truck has limits.
  14. Pjslawncare1

Pjslawncare1 Member

Cool, thanks guys for your input, although I am having trouble finding a 3/4 ton. I'm looking around the $6,000 and under....the search will continue....To answer a question asked, I'm not looking for the family/friend plan. I want to have a solid base of 30 customers...
  15. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

pjs all i am going to say is take a look at my signature. My 150 is doing great for me set of timbrens up front and firestone airbags out back i plow and spread salt with it. Just watch your fluids make sure you have a trans cooler take it easy and don't go crazy with a plow I wouldn't rec. anything over 7.5'
  16. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I just got done shopping for a truck. You would tell them $6--8K. They would say "we don't ever have anything in that price range!" Then look at you like yournthe stupid one.
  17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

There was a poll a while back that asked what size of truck do you use.
    The majority hands down was a 3/4 ton.

You will have more repair costs and you run a higher chance of breaking down if you use a 1/2 ton.

Sure you can plow with it but most 1/2 tons made sence 1980 are not as stout as the older ones are.

As for plow size anything narrow than a 8ft plow is going to cause you problems as it will not clear a path wide enough. You will be driving in the snow you just plowed up packing it back down.
  18. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

very true.
    but if this is a daily driver it makes more sense plowing with a half ton than taking a three quarter ton to the grocery store and the mall.
  19. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

But the 3/4 ton will make you money so you can afford to go to the store;)

Stop using trucks to to get a loaf of bread and some milk.
    That's just over kill.:D

ho, yea a 3/4 ton is my daily driver and it gets better millage than a 1/2 ton...
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  20. Pjslawncare1

Pjslawncare1 Member

what!?! That makes no sense...