1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford Expedition and Plowing

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by JoeGriffin7, Jan 21, 2014.

1. JoeGriffin7

JoeGriffin7 Junior Member
    from Boston

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and decided to post something thats been making me think for a while.
    I plow commercially, Its a big parking lot in Boston that gets very busy during the day and very hairy when it comes to plowing. I've always used pickup trucks to plow, but this year I decided to use my Tahoe instead of buying and registering and insuring two different trucks only to use one of them for snow.
    I need an SUV, I am not a fan of pick up trucks, I need the extra enclosed room and seats, which is why a Tahoe is Ideal.
    I originally had a suburban, but its just to big and dangerous where I plow (not to me, for pedestrians)
    Plowing season only has a month or two left at best, and I would really like either a different color Tahoe for next year or an Expedition. My Tahoe is blue and I really prefer White or Black (solid color only, no two toned because I paint my bumpers and grille (I am an auto body technician and mechanic)

My Tahoe plows like a dream, with a 7.6 Foot Fisher MM1 Electric Plow, doesn't sag, NEVER overheats and is a beast with the 5.7L Vortec Engine.
    However, I have always liked the Ford Expeditions (2003 or newer body Style)
    I have been doing research and the towing capacity is higher on the Ford then the Chevy. Also I tow cars with a car trailer, which the Tahoe does wonderfully (never tried an Expedition but I am sure it works great)
    My question is, does anyone here plow with an Expedition? How does it plow, How does it tow?
    I am more familiar with Chevy and can fix just about anything on it which is why I am skeptical on getting something I am not as good at so any other info on just regular maintenance would be great as well in regards to the Ford.

I am basically just needing more info, Are the push plates for a fisher easy to find for the expedition, do they even make them. I am sure I can use my Chevy wiring harness with the Ford, every if I have to Micky mouse the wiring, so I am not concerned about that.

I just want a basic STOCK comparison of a 1998 Chevy Tahoe body style (which I have) versus a 2003 Ford Expedition.

Any help would be greatly approved, the Chevys are bulletproof is maintained, I have no problem with mine *knocks on wood* and it has over 230K miles and it is a work truck that plows and tows, but I properly maintain all my vehicles, Power washing frames after plowing, keeping all fluids clean and filters changed, greasing everything and so on.

Just give me some advice people, I appreciate anything you my be able to let me know and keep me aware of.
    I will be running a Fisher 7.6 Foot Electric Hydraulic plow, 2 Plug wiring Harness, Minute Mount 1.
    The car trailer I tow is about 22 feet long, with 2 axels.

Also, the Expedition I would be looking to buy would be the 5.4L V8 (I think there might be a smaller one, but I do want the bigger engine because of the power I need.

Thank you again
  2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

The 2003 and newer Expi's have an IFS rear. They were not designed as work trucks. I think your Tahoe is much closer to a 1/2 ton GM truck. Some guys have the older Expi's with plows that seem to do OK. See what Fishers site says about mounting one.
  3. lilpusher

lilpusher Senior Member
    from Indiana

The ifs front and rear are not good for plowing. I've towed a 32' camper with mine 2005 and it's got plenty of grunt. But the front end won't handle the weight of a plow well
  4. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I had a 2004 Expedition years ago, family hauler. Never even thought of plowing with it, it can't take it. I dont even think theres a pushplate made for it.