1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford Excursion or Suburban

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by murphy4trees, Oct 22, 2004.

1. murphy4trees

murphy4trees Member

I posted this on the Chevy forum as well
    Daniel Murphy checking in... been plowing snow for ovewr 20 years and have learned from and enjoyed reading a bunch of great posts and info here...

I usually hang out at arboristsite, but came here to ask a question 'cause you all are better motor heads...

I need a big SUV... just rented a '04 excursion gas... pretty sure it's a V-10... Towing a 4500 lb trailer long distance... thing has a heavy tongue weight.. probably 6-700 lbs... and i need to haul a lot of heavy gear and still have room for all my clothes, food and personal items...

The excursion has been working out well, so I like that and may go get one, but I don't trust that ford transmission... Also heard the Chevy or GMC has a better ride... I put over 3000 miles on the Excursion in 3 weeks.

I Heard the wholesale price on the excursions are way down because of gas prices... Really don't care too much about gas costs, cause when this thing is going places it is making some good money.... Relability and value are the most important with comfort and looks of secondary concern.. Won't put a plow on it for some time if ever, so that is not a concern either. Hoping to get a 3-5 year old with 40-60K miles...

Your suggestions and feedback are much appreciated...
    thanks,
    Daniel

2. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

Murph i posted at aboristsite (Husky372) also but you didn't have the bit about the tranny in it. so here is my thoughts again. go Diesel you will love the motor and the new tranny is absolutly awesome.

3. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I know of very few problems with the Torqshift trans. It has proven itself a marginally stronger trans then the GM Allison. I work with several guys who have either the Chevy or the Excursion that tow heavy trailers, they are all happy with their respective choices with one exception. The fuel mileage in the gas engines. The guys that have the diesels (myself included) are VERY happy about the mileage. I have a Powerstroke 3/4Ton 4x4 super cab longbed and I get 18-21 mpg combination city/highway. Several of the gus that have the gasers are going to trade their trucks in on a diesel. Since GM does not offer a large SUV diesel then they have made up my mind for me.

4. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

The new trans has been working great, I make sales calls at the Livonia Transmission plant at least once a week and have several friends in the garage there, this is where they work on the test vehicles, the guys there can't say enough about it, they have not seen any un-usual wear of any kind on any of the test vehicles.

As far as the Excursion itself, great SUV, only thing is next year is the last year for it. There is a new program going on at the Michigan Truck plant right now for the new Expedition/Navigator. It will take the place of the Excursion, the Expedition will be 12" longer to put it in the same size catagory as the Suburban, they will offer the V-10 as a definite option, as far as the teasel, I haven't heard anything on that yet.

Hope this helps....

5. landstroker51

landstroker51 Banned

Again you are not comparing two equal vehicle in my opinion.
    Of course rides are going to different on Excursion and Suburban.One is on a superduty platform and one is on a 1500 platform.
    Excursion has more power, towing larger interior etc.
    Cant compare all cars because they are the same SIZE!

6. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I do agree it is not "fair" to compare vehicles just because they have similar outside dimentions. But on the other hand the Suburban is offered on a 3/4 ton chassis as well as the 1/2 ton.

7. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Not in my opinion either. Chevy will never compare to a Ford.. For towing get the Excursion with a Diesel and you will be happy.

8. demetrios007

demetrios007 Member

I have a gasser superduty, brand new even. Its a dog, the extra bucks and gas mileage are worth it, not to mention power. If I could go back, I'd have gotten the diesel.........

9. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

What axle ratio and tires sizes do you have?