1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford excursion or Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by murphy4trees, Oct 22, 2004.

1. murphy4trees

murphy4trees Member

Daniel Murphy checking in... been plowing snow for ovewr 20 years and have learned from and enjoyed reading a bunch of great posts and info here...

I usually hang out at arboristsite, but came here to ask a question 'cause you all are better motor heads...

I need a big SUV... just rented a '04 excursion gas... pretty sure it's a V-10... Towing a 4500 lb trailer long distance... thing has a heavy tongue weight.. probably 6-700 lbs... and i need to haul a lot of heavy gear and still have room for all my clothes, food and personal items...

The excursion has been working out well, so I like that and may go get one, but I don't trust that ford transmission... Also heard the Chevy or GMC has a better ride... I put over 3000 miles on the Excursion in 3 weeks.

I Heard the wholesale price on the excursions are way down because of gas prices... Really don't care too much about gas costs, cause when this thing is going places it is making some good money.... Relability and value are the most important with comfort and looks of secondary concern.. Won't put a plow on it for some time if ever, so that is not a concern either. Hoping to get a 3-5 year old with 40-60K miles...

Your suggestions and feedback are much appreciated...
    thanks,
    Daniel

excursion rig resize.jpg

2. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

The Burban is a touch smaller than the Excursion over all but not much. The ride quality award definitely goes to Chevy as the Ford uses the F250SD straight axle. Also you can get a Suburban in a 1/2 ton and have the same cargo volume, and pull your trailer with ease. My wife has a Tahoe (same running gear as 1/2 ton Sub) and we tow all the time (snowmobiles and 5000 lb camper) with no problems.

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Well what about diesel? lotsa miles and towing ussualy has a diesel paying for itself. Only problem is GM dosnt have a diesel suv, ford 6.0's give me the willies still and the fords dont ride as nice as a chevy. A crew cab duramax can be stuffed pretty heavy, pull anything you want and ride nice with lotsa bells and wistles, persoanl items go in the back seat and throw a suitcase in a tool box in the bed. Or a topper. I guess I'm just more of a truck than an suv person.....Suburban is pretty nice though and will get it done for you. A diesel excursion would be trick as long as you dont get a lemon.

4. ratlover

from IL

OH.....your hoping to get a used one. I thought you wanted to get that many years outa one. You can get a 6.5 in a suburban. They arnt real power houses but still pretty good relaible motors. The 350's that you may be finding is a good motor and the trans is pretty deecent too. For ford The 7.3's are good relaible(albeiet doggy like the 6.5) motors. Used changes things a bit.

5. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

dont know why the 6.0l gives you the willies there ratlover becuase it is an absolutly awesome motor.

6. ratlover

from IL

becasue of its problems when it came out. Seems ford has ironed out quite a few of the bugs but I am still not persoannly confidenet in it. Seems to be much better but like I said I am still a bit leary of it.

I also believe the allison has a large advantage over the ford unit although the ford unit seems to be pretty good.

7. GTL Inc.

GTL Inc. Member

Ford

I use too own the ford. Had a V10 engine in it with the heavy duty towing package along with it , trans cooler class 5 hitch.Man it was nice running from Apopka Fl to Atlanta and never stop for gas 40 sum gal tank.

4 TV's, play station VCR video link hook up and some real heavy base running through rock ford phase gate speakers, with punch 400/ 500 amps driving the systems.Limo tint all the way around it was so dark that my wife could not drive it at night.

Then when i put the name of the fishing team i sponsoring at the cape on it we got all the looks,3 :cool: HOOKERS & A BOAT.

When it came time to unload it the bank wanted 24k for it and i said no ,later i found out that they only got 15k for it whole sale.

8. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

yes rat there where some problms with the 6.0l when they first came out but show me a make or modle that hasn't. i have 20k on my 04 F350 not one problm.

9. murphy4trees

murphy4trees Member

Thanks

Thanks and keep it coming....
    I guess that is another option now... getting a 4 door pick up with a cap....

The excursion diesel sounds like the cat's meow... They are still bringing top $ at the auctions... May have to settle for the v-10... another limitation is that I Am pretty well set that it has to be white...

10. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Crew cab with a cap will likely be significantly less cash than either a Subrurban or Excursion.

One thing in the Excursion's favor (from Motor Trend) - "Bigger than a Suburban - Smaller than a Kenworth".

Good luck whichever way you go.

11. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Look at the new vehicles, especially if it going to be for personal use. You work had and deserve a clean, trouble free vehicle.