1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ford excursion Diesel who has used this for plowing

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by DAZ982500, Aug 4, 2009.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

Anyone plow with this type of suv it is a diesel by the way.no plow on it what type of plow would be suitable for this truck.I have a western midweight plow, on 02 chevy that could be swaped out.Any other thoughts on this as a purchase. I am looking at it as a family/work/pull trailer side of things.DAVE

2. miltonplower

miltonplower Senior Member
    from ontario

you should be fine because i believe the excursions have 250 front ends and the mid weight will look good on it (i say yes)

3. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

I had a 01 Ford Excursion with the 7.3L PSD, made for a good plow truck. I had a 7.5' RD Fisher MM1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

Blizzard Plows...!!!

5. fordpsd

fordpsd Senior Member

The guy i sub for has a diesel excursion. He has a boss v plow on it and it seems to handle it fine.

6. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

I was thinking about this just the other day, wouldnt it be a long set up and have major blind spot's?

I like the idea of it because it could be a family rig when not plowing

7. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

No more blind spots than a 6 wheel dump or truck with a cap on it. I thought about that set up. but the damm things were so expensive with the 7.3 and had to many miles on most of them. I was going to make it a daily driver. This was back in 05 when I was looking for a new truck. All the nice ones were just to far out of range and I dont think any had a plow prep package. So warranty was going to be an issue

8. noble@esitrucks

noble@esitrucks Member
    from 20181

actually the excursion is an awesome set up. it tracks very well in the snow and pushes like crazy. as said before the front end is like a superduty model. I don't think you would disappointed.

9. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

One of my subs runs a V-10 Excursion with a 7.5' Hiniker. I watched this thing push during a 12" snow & it was a tank, no probs pushing. He doesn't care for the blind spots but overall he really likes it.

10. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

i think a western would look goodxysport

11. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

doesnt it need a plow prep package?

12. noble@esitrucks

noble@esitrucks Member
    from 20181

i dont think they make a snow plow prep package for an excursion.
    no it doesnt need one

13. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

i know they didnt make one...my moms says right in the owners manual do not plow lol. doesnt it need a different fan or tranny cooler?

14. noble@esitrucks

noble@esitrucks Member
    from 20181

the couple of guys around didnt do anything special. they just put it on and went. tranny cooler would definitely help if its 4r100 tranny.

15. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Why would it?

16. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

I was told by a couple of installers that the excursion wasnt rated for a plow, it would exceed the axle rating....LOL

17. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

I dont know, the owners manual states in bold letters, not equipped or designed for a plow lol. Plus i thought you needed a tranny cooler? i guess if its equipped to tow then it would do the same as a plow. What ablout the front end gvw, my f250 came with the lighter front end, but it was made with a plow prep package? kinda odd

18. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

I have a 2001 ford excursion with the 6.8 and 4:30 gears with a 8' ultra mount western pro plow and this will be my 3rd winter with it on and it plows exellant! I have no complaints. of course it has more blind spots than a truck, but if it is your daily driver, you are use to it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

all of the 7.3 ones NEED to have a 6.0 tranny cooler put on them if you want to keep that tranny happy plowing IMO

otherwise, plow away.

20. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

See i knew it lol:bluebounc