1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford engines

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by peteo1, Jan 28, 2013.

1. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Looking for advice on Ford engines. Which to avoid, what to look for. Also was wondering about the particulars on a 7.3 diesel. I know the oil pans are trouble spots but what else should I be looking for?

There seems to be a few F-250s around here with the 5.4 liter engine. Is this a strong enough power plant to plow with or am I going to be disappointed? I would prefer to go diesel but they are hard to find, around here at least, without the truck itself being whipped or outrageously overpriced. Thanks in advance

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

5.4 is a little under powered,but I never had a problem plowing with it.

[​IMG]

3. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

I have both the 5.4 and the 4.6 in our F150's and both have enough plower for plowing.
    With the wings, I am 8'7" wide and it pushs a nice load.

That said, the 5.4 has more low end power than the 4.6
    You have to rev the little motor more.

The 5.4 underpowered ? compared to what ?

Bob

4. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

If you're comparing the 5.4 to the 7.3 then yes you will be underpowered. It also depends on what you're using for a plow. If someone has a 5.4 in an F150 w/ a 7.5ft straight blade then they'll probably tell you they have plenty of power. Put that same motor in an F250 w/ a Boss 9'2" V and try to scoop wet snow, you'll wish you had a bigger motor. Truth be told the 5.4 does lack power. It is a dependable motor and Ford has used it for a good length of time. Unfortunately if you're looking for a SuperDuty from say 99-2010 you either go diesel (7.3,6.0,6.4) or you go 5.4 or V10. MANY people love the v10. Personally I've never owned one but am told they have great power. I've owned a 5.4 and most of the time it had "enough" power to get the job done but it wasn't setting any land speed records. Overall I'd say it is Ford's least impressive powerplant in regards to V8 power...strictly talking power.

5. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

The 5.4 is fine, just use low range in the knarly stuff.

6. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I bought a 7.3 last fall with 120k on it. Everything I read on forums said the motor was just broken in blah blah blah. I bought it thinking it would last me for 3-4 hundred milesas long as I did filter changes and oil changes religiously (ford dealer told me that as well). Anyways, I bought it with confidence in the legendary 7.3. The motor will last a long time and does have way more power than the 5.4, however, there are things that go wrong, and when they do, its not cheap. I spent over 5 grand on repairs when the injector cups went (they did a bunch of other stuff while they were in there). I did the repairs knowing the motor would last, but it wasn't cheap, and the truck was down for 5 weeks total. I felt the 5.4 would be under powered and I didn't want the fuel economy of the v10, so I went diesel. Everyone is different. Sorry for ranting, and I do love my 7.3, just know it isn't cheap to run one

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

None of us here would steer you wrong. We believe in the 7.3. I could go on and on.
    You literally got the one in 10,000 - 7.3 PSD that is bad! I have never heard of one needing that big of a repair. I drove the first ambulance in our county that had one in 94.
    I have been friends with the mechanic staff everywhere I have worked. We talk the same language. I would recommend the 7.3 to anyone I know. I am sorry you had such a bad experience with it. The dealer must of replaced glow plugs, relay, harness,seals and injectors?

8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have 3 5.4 2 in F350 and 1 in F250
    To get good pulling power out of the 5.4 you need buy a Manual
    I plow with 9.6 never lost power on my 5 speed 5.4
    Mostly loose traction before running out of power same goes with my Auto 5.4 it breaks traction all time plowing

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  9. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

That's why I was willing to do the repairs, I knew it was a great motor and I still swear by it. I would recommend it, but with the sidebar on how expensive the repairs can be. I did replace just about everything I.could while they were in there. The injector cups from what I've heard isn't an uncommon problem, it sure did suck opening the hood and seeing the degas bottle filled with diesel haha

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

None of us here would steer you wrong. We believe in the 7.3. I could go on and on.
    You literally got the one in 10,000 - 7.3 PSD that is bad! I have never heard of one needing that big of a repair. I drove the first ambulance in our county that had one in 94.
    I have been friends with the mechanic staff everywhere I have worked. We talk the same language. I would recommend the 7.3 to anyone I know. I am sorry you had such a bad experience with it. The dealer must of replaced glow plugs, relay, harness,seals,turbo lines or seals and injectors?

11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

5.4's are decent. They seem to get weaker with miles, and all earlier Triton motors have major plug issues with miles. The newer 3v motors have timing chain and cam phaser issues with miles as well, enough that a chain will ruin your day and lock up a motor, and preventitave maint replacing one once it's rattly will cost $1k-1500 at a shop. I've always viewed 5.4's as throw away trucks after a couple hundred thousand miles or just under depending how they're maintained. But on a good note, you can pick up 100k plus ones cheap and have a decent truck for the $$.

12. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Diesel:
    7.3 --Awesome
    6.0 & 6.4--Ticking time bombs
    6.7--Too early to tell.
    Gas:
    Tritons were all good engines overall for a gasser.
    6.2--Love it so far!

If you want to go way back,

460 and 351W were both decent engines as well.

13. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the info guys! Much appreciated. I doubt I'll be keeping any truck for a few hundred thousand miles but I for sure want a few years out of it.

OC&D, why are the 6.4 & 6.0 ticking time bombs?

14. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Bc they're not but people with no personal experience with them make a habit of badmouthing them.

15. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i'm on my third 6.8 V10 2V truck and i absolutely love them!

16. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

With a little bit of knowledge on them and some alterations from the factory their good motors and fun to drive. I'd drive a 6.0 or a 6.4 over a 7.3 any day of the week, providing when it needs work I get to do it how I want and not what Ford says you should do.

x2. The nice part is they make the 6.0's cheap to buy.

01 F550 with 120k miles for 23k or 07 F550 with 90k miles for 20k. Both pretty much optioned the same when I was looking last week. Silly me for wanting the 6.0, a much nicer truck, and the cheaper price right?

17. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

the 5.4 is a good engine if treated properly. it will not set and land speed records or win any drag races in a superduty 4 wheel drive pickup, and will only get around 12-14 MPG, but it is a truck, not a car. treat it rite and you can expect many many years of dependable service out of it.
    my partner at the body shop now has a little over 346,000 miles on his 2000 F-350 and has never had the engine or trans apart.
    i just put front unit bearings and front axle universals in it for the first time last month.
    it did not need the u-joints, but i figured while i had the axles out i might as well do them.

18. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I badmouth them specifically because I do have experience with them. They have inherent flaws. How many people want to buy a truck and then spend another few grand putting aftermarket parts in it so it doesn't crap the bed on you? I have yet to personally meet someone who has gotten more than 150k out of one without putting a minimum of $4,000 into either of those motors. Are there folks who have? Yep, but that's not the norm. Sure, there are things you can do such as an EGR delete or aftermarket oil cooler, etc., but why screw with it? Maybe I'm the crazy one since I've always been of the mindset that you mod something to enhance performance, in the case of those two motors, you mod them as preventative maintenance. If you like putting lipstick on a pig, then by all means, buy one, do your homework, spend some money on parts, roll up your sleeves and get to work. Personally, I have plenty of other things I can do instead of re-engineering the wheel, and since I traded the 6.0, I can do those other things, and I sleep better at night.

My buddy has an '08 dually with the 6.4, and has had the dealer do ALL of the scheduled service on it including oil changes. They just put a BRAND NEW motor in it at 43,000 miles under warranty, and he babies the crap out of his stuff, especially his trucks. The best part is that there were no updated parts from Ford for the stuff that was "out of tolerance" which included a few rocker arms and the piston rings. I think this is an indication that Ford pretty much gave up on these motors altogether. This particular dealer is installing an average of 1 new motor per week between the 6.0's and the 6.4's.

19. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

You realize that there were an average of 300,000 6.0's produced PER YEAR right? Of course there will be plenty on the road with problems, and you will never hear stories of the MAJORITY of them that are just fine. Find me a diesel truck that doesn't require maintenance or need repairs and we have a miracle on our hands. One of my Cummins grenaded a turbo last year at 154k. My 04 6.0 lasted to 220k, and my 05 still has the stock one at 290k. Should I start on my Dmaxes? Nothing is perfect. Keep throwing tons of power at a 6.0, then b!tch that it popped a head gasket. That's the norm. I've had HG's go on 2 Dmaxes STOCK. FICM's, injectors up the ass, EGR coolers, you name it.

I'm with Mark. I'll "chance" the newer truck and have a way better bang for my buck. 6.0's are great workhorses, especially for the $.

20. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

And the "babies the crap out of his stuff" is the problem. Honestly. I believe 100% that my 6.0's have lasted as long as they have b/c they're rode hard and put away wet.