1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford engine problem! Won't start

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Ziob34, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

hey everyone,
    the other day the 92 ford we have went out ot starrt it it started up rough, idled poorly and then stalled out. This has never happened before. After stalling it just turns over now and won't start. any ideas as to what to check first to figure it out were going to checkc the distributor cap this afternoon to see if that may be.

any help would be appreciated!!! ran like a top until then, battery seems fine turns over good.

2. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Might be the fuel pump. Try a squirt of starting fluid see if it fires. If it has a carb poor a LITTLE gas down the barrel and see what happens. Spark, fuel, air. Hope you get it going.

3. Indy

Indy Senior Member

watch out for a back fire!!:yow!:

4. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Oh yeah don't stick your face over the carb when you do it lol. :eek:

5. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

its an efi engine so i'll try shooting some starter fluid down the throttle body and see if it fires. just weird would the fuel pump of just crapped out like that and it just used the fuel that was left in the line and died?

6. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not sure if this will work on the fords but on the chevy since the fuel pump is in the tank you can sometimes get them to go if you tap/hit the gas tank with a hammer or wrench.

7. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Is this 351W check fuel pressure.

it don't have carb after 1988 It become Electric Fuel Injector.

8. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

distributor is clean..............could a bad ignition coil cause it? i can hear fuel pump kick on so that should be o.k.

9. Milwaukee

First we need you check fuel pressure. That all we want know.

10. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

i'd be checking for spark first and if there was none check the ignition module on the side of the distributor. very common.

11. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Back when I worked at a ford dealership (84"-98") the most common problems would be in this order. Good luck

1. Corroded coil wire
    2. Ignition Module
    3. Fuel pump

12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Thats what I would check first.....then maybe check fuel pressure

13. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

coil wires and coil are fine and the plugs get plenty of spark......any idea where the ignition module is on these guys i neglected to look it seems to be getting fuel on the rack fine and has good spark i'm baffled could it be this ignition module?

14. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

Check all of ur fuses?

15. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

Is the timing right?

16. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

ignition mod. is mounted on the distributor and if you have spark than it's not the mod. check for fuel

17. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

timing is good, spark is good, fuel is at the rack i don't think a clogged inline filter would cause it to not even want to try and start. must be a week or dead fuel pump even though we can hear it prime up.

18. Milwaukee

Listen go to store get Fuel pressure Gauage

all we want know what psi it make.

if you still won't listen us you waste your time try figure why it not run good.

You see fuel out rail but question what psi it make?? you don't know answer then get fuel pressure gauage and tell us what psi it make.

they are different from carb. EFI need somewhere 40-60 psi to start and run.

19. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

key on engine off fuel pressure should be 50 -60 psi on the 4.9 litre and all other gas engines should be 35 - 45 psi. running pressure should be maybe 5 psi less ( won't help you as truck won't start)

20. Dubliner

Dubliner Senior Member

my 88 ford had three pumps, one in each tank and one monted on the frame under driver, the pumps in the tanks supplied fuel and the one on the frame gave the pressure for efi