1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford e40d transmission pan bolts

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mpriester, Mar 29, 2014.

1. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

Looking for a little advice. Went to loosen the pan bolts and have a couple that are seized and if i twist them too hard they will snap off, i have sprayed them with penetrating oil in hopes too loosen them up but was wondering if there is anything else i can do to free them up. I drained and refilled the torque converter and would really like to change the filter. The truck only has 68k miles on it.
    Thank You
  2. mnic

mnic Junior Member

tap lightly with a Small Hammer with the socket on the bolt use 1/4 inch it is probably seized in the aluminum case get PB Blaster might be better
  3. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Just have a shop flush it. No reason to remove pan
  4. fhafer

fhafer Member

I would heat them up with a torch and let them cool completly; the different expansion rates of the dissimilar metals will help loosen the grip the aluminum has on the bolts. If you have oxy/acetylene use straight acetylene first to carbon the surface, then cut-in the oxygen and use a neuteral flame. Heat it until the carbon burns off then stop and wait for it to cool.

If you have a turbo torch just carbon up the surface by covering the air intake on the torch body with your finger.

If you only have a MAPP or small Prest-O-Lite kit torch then I would advise you go to a welding supply store and buy a 200 degree Tempilstik. Put a few crayon marks on the aluminum with the Tempilstik and heat until the crayon mark melts...then stop heating and let it cool.

Good luck