1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ford dump truck

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ibuildcars4u, Feb 24, 2006.

1. ibuildcars4u

ibuildcars4u Junior Member
    from ohio

i have a 1973 ford Ln600 dump truck with [what i believe is] a 330 or 340 small block original hd truck motor. [ i will edit the post when i look at the truck for the correct size motor] it has the 5 speed with 1st being the granny gear, and a 2 speed rear end. what motors are interchangeable with this truck and trans, the motor is blown, someone told me that you HAVE to replace it with a hd truck motor, the original size if possible. my question is why [as long as the trans bolts up to it] couldn't i put a 360 or 390 big block light truck motor in it, or if a big block will not bolt up, then a 351 ford? i found a used [ millage unknown] original replacement motor for it for $1200. now i know i can get a 351, 360, 390 for at or under $500, but i was told you cant put a car/ light truck motor in it, any advice would be greatly appreciated, any suggestions? thank you for your time, i will post the correct motor later on today, thanks