1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford diesel?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by WOODY367, Dec 8, 2005.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

What year did Ford come out with the quieter diesel engine. I wanted to buy a 97 F250 but am thinking on maybe getting the newer body style. The only thing is more money which I don't really have right now.

2. TEX

TEX Senior Member

Quiter

by quiter do you mean the 6.0L diesel? if so I think it was late 2004

3. PipeGuy

PipeGuy Junior Member

I think it was '03. I have (3) of them and have never come across an '02.

4. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

Progression of Ford diesels

In late 1983 early 1984 the 6.9L was introduced, in 1988 they switched to the 7.3L IDI (non turbo), in 1992 they put the 7.3L IDI turbo into production, but still kept the non turbo until the end of that model year. In early 1994 the Power Stroke turbo diesel with introduced, and the IDI turbo was also used for 1/2 the year. The PSD was used up thru the 2003.25 models, then the "quite" 6.0L was up into use until now. And it looks like the 6.0L will be put out of its misery at the end of the 2006 model year.

5. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I heard the following about diesels starting in 2007...anyone else heard this??

Chevrolet/GMC -- Duramax Diesel
    Ford -- Cummins Turbo Diesel
    Dodge -- CAT Diesel

6. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

its been discussed...ford will never go cummins, and if dodge goes to anything it will be Mercedes (diamler chrysler)
    i've heard ford will go to a twin turbo PS in '07

but as for a quite diesel..why would you ever want one?...thats what diesels are known for, there noise..lol

7. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

From what I have heard Ford will have a 6.4L twin turbo in 07. I can wait for that!!!:yow!: :yow!: :nod:

8. dirt digger

not so sure i would want to buy a first model year though...maybe wait until 2009 when they get all the kinks out...

9. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

but as for a quite diesel..why would you ever want one?...thats what diesels are known for, there noise..lol[/QUOTE]
    That's why I'm not sure if I want my new truck to be a Ford PSD or a Chevy DD....the Chevy's stock exhaust would be tore off for sure.....you gotta have that diesel rumble!!:D :D

10. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I have a 87 now. The next truck I get will be drive all the time. I don't know if I could take the sound of my 87 when I am going out at night. That would drive me nuts all the time. LOL Thanks guys. I have to decide what year F250 I want to get.

11. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

I know this is the ford section, but I have to say the best sounding diesel is the Cummins. Anytime I roll up next to one, I roll down the window so I can hear the old 6 cylinder running. My next vote has to go to the 7.3l powerstroke. The diesel's nowadays are too quiet, and I like the cackle and sound of the 7.3 myself. I hear too many bad things about the 6.0, and I just hope Ford works out their issues with the 6.4l twin turbo that is in the works. I am a Ford man and always have been, just too bad the 7.3 wasn't very emmisions friendly, or I think it would still be around today.

12. TEX

TEX Senior Member

Cummins Sound

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH Dieselgeek ABOUT THE CUMMINS STRAIGHT 6. IT JUST HAS THAT THROATY DEEP TONE SOUND, THE V8'S JUST DONT HAVE IT-- IT SEEMS LIKE ALL YOU HEAR IS THE TURBO SPINNING

13. dirt digger

you think those diesels are loud..my cousin has a 2001 2500 with the 6-cylinder, he took the muffler off so its just a straight pipe, now that thing purrs

14. rancherman84

rancherman84 Senior Member

the IDI diesels are quieter than any powerstroke simply because of there design.
    a direct injection engine(7.3 & 6.0 powerstroke) is louder because the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder.
    a indirect injection engine(7.3 IDI)is quieter because the fuel is injected into pre-combustion chambers
    the only thing that will make a direct injection engine quieter is something called pilot injection,this system introduced on the 6.0 injects a small amount of fuel into the cylinder before it reaches TDC,this causes less diesel knock.
    i belive ford had issues with pilot injection and discontinued it until the release of 6.4 twin turbo in 07