1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford diesel tank delaminating

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by supercuts, Feb 5, 2011.

1. supercuts

supercuts Senior Member

anybody dealt with this? it is most common with the f450/f550 with the metal tank behind the rear axle. the tank breaks down from diesel fuel and gets sucked though the injection system wipping out everything. its bad enough it happens quite often. just about everyone i know with one has had it happen. the biggest problem is we are all starting to go though it a 2nd time at about $3k+ repairs. my new "redesinged" tank that will never go bad according to ford only lasted 2 years and 15k miles!

my 08 ford has been though lemon law and in the shop 30-40 times, its hard to keep track. i have 4 powerstrokes right now and im done with ford. next new will be GM, not sure if ill buy any new diesel with all the ureia (spelling?) and such.
  2. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

Both 550's had this prob one had it twice first time they were under warranty second time dealer ate the labor cost and we bought the tank. I think they have a stainless upgrade for the tank.
  3. Marek

Marek Senior Member

I would like to see poly or stainless tank upgrade . I too have had the same problems with the chassis tanks. How about the filler necks on the new trucks rusting away or even the drain plug on the filter housing on the frame. We have been using one g zip lock bags to put used fuel filters in and having them dated and the milage on them. At some point we are going to ram them up someones azzz at Ford ! Even the newer trucks have this problem so when you change out your filters if they are rust colored then something is up . Our latest truck is a 2011 3500 shortbed crew cab with the D max and Allison trans. and I love it ! I bought it for the guys as a crew truck but I have been driving it for 4 months and have put almost 7 k on it . If I had of realized how much I was going to like this truck I would have bought the same truck in a LTZ and kept it for myself. bye bye Fords !