1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford diesel 6.7 recall info

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by seville009, Jan 19, 2015.

1. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Stalling issues....in case anyone here is affected

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2015/01/federal_regulators_investigati.html#incart_river

2. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

So the government (via the Environmental Protection Agency) mandates that an engine (the Ford 6.7 liter Powerstroke in this case) is to shut off – rather than possibly exceed emissions regulations – when an EGT sensor fails. Then when these engines do start shutting down when any one of the four EGT sensors fail, they threaten to force the manufacturer to recall the vehicles. Both the engines and the manufacturer are doing exactly what the government required them to do.

Does anybody else see the folly in this whole mess? Maybe we should mandate that the EPA is to shut down whenever they screw up. Oh wait, they never screw up. Never mind.

3. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

I've had my truck shut down on me two times already due to this. The 2nd time I had a trailer with skid steer on it and just came over a set of railway tracks as the "stop safely" message came on.

Installed a new updated sensor the next day. Once the truck cooled down for an hour or so the truck was able to drive again. Forget updating or replacing all the sensors just going to rip the stupid thing off the truck soon. Problem solved.

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I wonder if diesel truck prices would drop if enough people just boycotted them. I see so many diesel trucks where the hitch receiver hasn't even had it's cherry popped yet. I'll never get a new diesel again for the cool factor....ever! There are still some that are willing to take the abuse just to have one. $50K or more for something that does this???!!!

(This excludes those with the genuine need for diesel power)

5. Grassman09

I see allot of corporate companies running gas trucks now. Rental cos Construction cos allot running GAS 2500 3500 F250 F350. Gas prices down allot now. Diesel still way up there in price. MY 11 F350 gets the same fuel mileage as my 02 GM 2500.

6. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

this is the best way to fix it. and you gain 4-5 mpg too.

7. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I think you're going to find that the truck will not run without them. Big Brother wins again.

8. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

And if it does run, are you going to put a piece of electrical tape on your dash to cover up the check engine light or put a tune on it to delete or what? How do you guys do all the EGR deletes and DEF deletes and everything without the check engine light blinding you the whole time you are driving? :mechanic:

9. Grassman09

It will run without it. I wouldn't be the 1st ever person to do this.

Yes you will need to run a tuner. You cant just pull everything and expect it to work like normal.

10. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

H+S tuner to keep the CEL off, and let it run without all the pollution junk
    the delete pipe eliminates all 4 exhaust sensors, the cat, the muffler, the smurf pee injector and the DPF

11. derekslawncare

So you can unhook ALL that stuff that the engine is designed to run with w/o doing any damage? Seems like the engine would run better the way it was BUILT TO RUN.

12. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Annnnddddd hereeeeeeee we go

13. treeman06

treeman06 Senior Member

How do you get it through emissions, with everything gone?

14. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

No emissions tests on diesels here

15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Any diesel from 2007.5 and newer will run better with the emissions equipment removed. Dpf, Egr, pcv rerouted, no DEF, etc. They'll last longer, run smoother, be more reliable, and your fuel mileage will increase.

And emissions what? :D

My 6.7 runs great with the egr blocked off and the dpf laying in my garage.

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Apparently you didn't catch the drift of this thread. Let me summarize:

The emissions crap is what is keeping these engines from running.

17. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Same motor is sold outside the US without the DPF.

I've been stop twice for fuel color checks, never once question on lack of DPF.

18. derekslawncare

Did you happen to weigh before and after? I wonder how much weight all that crap removed from your truck. EGR and that stuff probably not much, but I bet the DPF, DEF tank and muffler add up. There's your fuel savings. You're lugging around 600 less lbs. Ha ha.

19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You don't really understand the emissions crap, do you?

20. derekslawncare

No, I'm not an engineer. What I do know is that A) the TEAM OF PEOPLE that built the engine were engineers. B) I KNOW that when my truck has to pass my state inspection every year in order to get my license plate, that even though we don't ACTUALLY TEST FOR EMISSIONS, they DO CHECK TO SEE THAT ALL THAT STUFF IS ON THE TRUCK. So to me, it just seems a lot easier/safer to leave it alone, especially since I only have 44k on it so it's still under warranty, than to start screwing with it. You know the old adage, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. JMO