1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ford computer reset?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by northeast, Mar 30, 2002.

1. northeast

northeast Junior Member

Can you reset the computer on a96 ford f-350? I just got a tune up friday. the truck now is acting strange.the shop will be closed for a few days .I was told by a friend to disconnect battery for a half hour to reset computer. anyone have any input on this?
    truck ran fine when i picked it up yesterday.today it is surging,running hotter then normal,and ideling higher at stop lights. It has a 351 if that helps. thanks for any info.
  2. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

Sounds like the timing is too far advanced. Was the timing checked after the tune up? A different cap and rotor usually don't change the timing but it might have changed it by a few degrees.

Disconnecting the battery clears any codes or errors in the computer although on some vehicles it does reset the computer.
  3. DavidD

DavidD Junior Member
    from sc

If you Reset the computer it will take some time to smooth out. After a reset the computer must relearn its optimal performance. Which might have been what the tune up shop did. :(