1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford Bronco Help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by james1115, Dec 18, 2005.

1. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

Hey guys my brother has a 86 Bronco that he plows residential with. Every time he puts the plow on his engine overheats. If he takes the plow off everything is fine but the plow blocks the air from entering the radiator and it overheats. Is there anything that you guys can think of to fix this problem? when the plow is off it will never overheat so the radiator is good but with the plow he has problems. He has a 7.5ft fisher. This can't be the first time thins has happened to someone, or maybe it is. If anyone has had this problem and figured out a good fix please let me know.
    thanks in advance
  2. PlowingHD

PlowingHD Junior Member

I would check the clutch fan. If the clutch is in good shape and working properly (silicone fluid hasn't run out) Maybe then look at going to a straight blade fixed fan. It appers that you have found the reason that it is overheating.
  3. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

you think a straight blade fan would do the trick? I have always owned chevy and dodge never ford but you would think that if this was a common issue there would be a common remedy. Thanks so much I will have him check the clutch fan which I am gonna say I am pretty sure it is OK. He can run this truck all day long in 80-100 degree heat without a problem but as soon as the plow goes on whammo! overheats.
  4. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

no one else has any replies?
  5. john-boy

john-boy Member

when the plow is on, what conditions lead to overheating?? driving, plowing, idling??
    fan clutch is a def possibility
  6. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

try making one of these.

7. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

I am going to look into that today, thanks Jon. It overheats plowing, and driving. The plow blocks all the air from entering the radiator I guess because when the plow is off it is fine. Hey repo that looks like a good idea that might have to be an option. Thanks guys for the replies so far.
  8. BDB

BDB Senior Member

When you are driving keep the plow as close to the ground as you can. I even angle mine slightly to let the air in. Another option is an electric fan on a switch. But make sure you have enough juice to run that and all other electric items plow, lights, beacon, etc. Run the heat with the windows open. Try to flush out the fins on the radiator too. From the inside out with a hose. That may make a huge diff. You can't believe all the junk that gets in those little fins. My 460 gets hot:angry: I could cook a hamburger an the dash. Never overheated yet....
  9. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

fords over heat

ok got a bunch of broncos so try some of this lower temp themo larger core rad and flush rad...
  10. The Beastmaster

The Beastmaster Junior Member

1990 Bronco owner

I have a 1990 Ford Bronco fullsize. Things that keep it cool are towing package which includes a larger radiator core. Also added a B&M plate type transmission cooler. If you are relying on the transmission cooler in the radiator forget it, it won't keep the tranny cool and will overheat the radiator as well. Also make sure the tubes in the radiator are clear and don't have any calcium deposits growing on them. This is called solder bloom and blocks the tubes and keeps the radiator from cooling well. Hope this helps.
    The Beastmaster
  11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

This issue has been addressed many times here. The Meyer install guide recommends you drive with the plow low and angled to the right. Make sure your truck has a good fan clutch,it should be "roaring" when it's hot and at a low speed. Make sure all the hoses are OK and the fan is working. It should be real hard to turn by hand when hot and easy when it's cold.
  12. john-boy

john-boy Member

first, put a pressure tester on the radiator to make sure u dont have a blown head gasket pushing exhaust gas into ur cooling system..2) and to watch for restrictions, ie thermostat sticking or no pressure, ie water pump with a failed impeller. 3) flush the radiator for contaminates. 4) make sure a molded rad hose isnt sucking shut by collapsing under pressure.