1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford Brakes with Blizzard Plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HLS Wholesale, Sep 7, 2004.

1. HLS Wholesale

HLS Wholesale Senior Member

Just got my new Blizzard plow put on my Ford F350 dump. The blizzard is really heavy, and I can see where the brakes are going to wear out quickly. Anyone have experience with this? Are there some heavy duty pads I should be putting on?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

i dont think that should be a problm the truck was made to carry the weight

3. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Uasualy get about 35,000 miles out of a set of pads and 60,000 out of a set of shoes. Suspose I could get better if I just used the snow bank at the end of the push to stop.

4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I suspect you are being sarcastic. HMMMM.

I run a Blizzard 810. Hard on cutting edges, because it cleans right down to the black, reducing salt usage.

Myself, I get 100,000 miles out of my front pads and 500,000 miles from my rear shoes . I do not run the snow banks like you. DAh,DAh. Of course with increased productivity you are going to pay for other things in wear and tear. If you can't work the numbers then what can I say? The trick is being able to determine costs in relationship to the customer.

5. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Heavy duty brake pads... are there other kinds? :rolleyes:

6. wls

wls Senior Member

7. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Suspose I should claify myself. I ment brake pads and brake shoes. I do not run pads on my plows unless it is on soft ground with dirt lots and they are few and far between.

8. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I never use shoes on the blade.

9. HLS Wholesale

Ok, everyone. I was talking about brake pads, not shoes. My question was about you folks using blizzard plows. There very heavy. During regular driving, with the plow on, do you see a difference in your braking? Do the brake pads wear out sooner due to the extra weight during stopping? If so, is there anything that can be done?

Thanks

10. HLS Wholesale

Errr....'scuse the grammer. That should be "they are" very heavy. Not "there" very heavy.

11. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Yes the ware out sooner. what can be done? Change them more often. That is part of the cost of using your pickup for plowing