1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford antenna location...anyone know? Sirius install

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by MOWBIZZ, Feb 21, 2008.

1. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

I put a Sirius Radio in my GF's 03 Ford Expedition (Eddie Bauer edition), and I'd like to add the "antenna extension" so Sirius calls it, but I'll be damned if I can locate where the antenna is located on this vehicle...it's HIDDEN for sure and I have checked the usual locations like in the glass or a little "stubby" somewhere, but maybe someone here knows this vehicle...oh yeah, I called the local Ford dealer and they were useless...

The Sirius people say to put their "extension antenna" as close to the vehicle antenna as possible...I gotta say I'm not too happy with the reception the Sirius gets up to now...maybe this thing will help...

Anyone??

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

So are you having problems with the Sirius signal dropping out or poor reception over the FM side through the radio?

3. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Reception on the FM radio of the truck is fine...problem is receiving a decent satellite signal thru an unused FM station in my area. There are only one or two that give a decent signal throughout the entire FM band...and they are not completely static free when you sync up the Sirius radio. just thought the signal might be better. Anyway there's an extra "antenna extender" that comes in the kit that I want to use to see if the signal improves...trouble is it's supposed to be placed as near to the vehicle's antenna as possible...and I can't locate the vehicle's antenna...that was what I'm trying to find...the vehicle antenna...:confused:

4. MightySal

MightySal Junior Member

You really don't need to get it that close to the veh. ant. I've got a Sirius in my wife Sable veh ant is on rear left of veh. I just plugged the extender into the Sirius cradle and let it hang it gives better sig than with out. If that doesn't work then you may have to go for the inline ant splitter. jmo

5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

check out tssradio.com they have alot of diferent things to make ur signal better.

6. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

OK Thanks...I'll just install it somewhere and see what happens...they give you suction cups to "test" the location of the extender...

7. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Thanks for the link...I'll check it out

8. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

Ford makes an adapter for some of their radios that will let you plug a satellite radio or mp3 player directly into to it.

9. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I'd skip the antenna extender and just get the FM modulator, costs about $20 and you can get them at any electronics store.

10. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

OK, and how does that hook up if you don't mind my asking???

11. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

Look for small wires on the window, like a rear defroster. Some of the car are going to them instead of the antenna... I would just go with the direct link if I were you anyway.. better quality.

12. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Link to the FM modulator itself

Pull out the factory radio
    unplug the antenna wire from the back of the radio
    you've got a Ford so it may need an antenna adapter
    plug the adapter into the modulator
    plug the modulator plug in to the radio
    run the modulator input to the Sirius radio and plug it into the FM OUT port
    cram everything back into the dashboard
    set the FM station to whatever you want the modulator will block out all of the background noise and give you a clear sound.