1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford and there frame horns

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Manny Inc., Oct 8, 2003.

1. Manny Inc.

Manny Inc. Junior Member

Why is it that we cant stop the Fords frame horns from bending
    95 F-350 horns bent down 9'2 94 F-350 same 9'2 Boss v
    00 F-350 same 9'2 Boss v
    Iknow the plow might be to heavy but heres the interesting thing
    my chevys are not doing it and the dodges well if you can keep a transmission in them they would be allright (dig) but really is it Boss's plow frames or the trucks i tend to think its the truck iam sick this. yes the trucks get ran hard but not beat.Any ideas

2. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I personally have had 3 plow trucks (all 89-94 F-250/350's) before the current trucks that I have and not had any problems with the horns bending. Even with my 97 F-350, it has 50,000 miles on the ticker and of that about I am guessing about 30,000 is with plow on. The 97 was in the frame shop last year after getting hit by a lady that ran a red light, it almost took the axle out from under the truck, and bend the frame a little bit. I had them check the front as long as it was on the rack, and they said that there was nothing to worry about and that nothing had moved enough to justify straighting it. About the only thing that I would say it try and change our plowing style a little bit, or a different plow manufacturer and see if you still have the same problems.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

I have seen some bend,but mostly due to driver abuse,or improperly repaired or beefed up plows.If they are all bending like that,there is something wrong.

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I think a lot of it has to do with the mounts. Look at a Siher mount (one of the heaviest plows) on a Ford. It runs back along the frame over 20". Look at a mount from Meyer or Western and most of the weight is hung on the bumper mounts at the end of the frame. There is often a support running back to the frame but the mounts lack the continuous contact that the Fisher mounts have. Add a bit of drive abuse and it does not surprise me to see them bend. Now I know we were not talking about Fisher, but my point is that I think some mounts are better designed for trucks then others.