1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford A/C

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Flipper, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

2002 Superduty 7.3 Auto

Trcuk has had cold a/c from the day I bought it. Monday I noticed the air was not cold. Snoop around and found the condensor to evaporator line, which is a hardline to a rubber line back to a hardline was leaking at one of the transitions. So I had to replace a hose not a big deal. Went right to Ford to order a hose $45 not bad. Went to a garage that my friend owns, swapped the hose and evaced the system, it held vacuum. Filled with 2.5lbs of freon just about what specs say and it was making good cold air again. Pressures were just under what factory is but for a 6 year old truck not bad. Air worked well today, but tonight driving home noticed it was getting warm again.

Opened the hood and guess what I found. The replacement hose is leaking at the same spot. This is not chaffing, hose is not near anything, it is secured correctly, was not over filled or over pressure. So tomorrow I have to go to Ford and show them, I guess and between the parts and the serivce department see what I can get done.

Anyone else hear of problems with the a/c lines? Could something else in the system be causing this?

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I am not expert but I was check those ac refill gauge I notice max psi is 50 or less if it over 50 mean dangerous.

I don't know but myself will check pressure.

Hope dealer find problem

3. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

how did you know it was leaking did u add dry and check with a dye light or did use one off those sniffers tools ? i'm guessing you added dye cheapest route . anyhow does that mount with o-rings to the coupler ? might be as easy as bad o-rings or could be bad parts . i find it hard what it might be water in the system if holding vac what was your gauge readings flipper

4. Flipper

from CT

Its actually leaking from the factory joint in the piece where it transititions from metal tube to rubber hose. All part of the same line assembly from the condensor along the inner fender (not touching it) and up to the evaporator. I could hear and see the leak on the old one and now the new one is in the same place.

I should be able to get a hose from Ford as this one was less then a day old but trying to figure out what could be causing it.

5. mike psd

from pa

bad crimping and manufacturing its happens there alot of parts that come out of the boxs's damaged . if get a new one and replaced it i highly suggest adding dye oil and checking for leaks after you recharge it

6. Flipper

from CT

It had the dye in it and still does.

I talked to the service manager and parts manager on Friday morning. They had to get a new hose from another dealer which they did by 2pm. I added a can of freon in the meantime. At 2 they swapped the bad hose, which they were sending back for quality control and then did a few evac and charge of freon for no charge. Seems to be working good and I will keep my eye on the new hose.

7. mike psd

from pa

sounds cool also sounds like a good dealer too

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I was told by a parts store guy one time that the industry average at the time was 1 in 10,000 parts are bad right out of the box. You got to be Mr. 10,000 that day.

That is a good dealership. It probably gets charged back to Ford since it was an OEM part that failed right out of the box.