1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford 9 inch rear end failure?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jb1390, Jun 20, 2014.

1. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I have a buddy that picked up a 1976 F150 that has a flatbed dump on it. He didn't check the axle specs before purchasing (only 2700 lbs on rear). The truck has additional springs and decent tires, so those parts have been upgraded. I have some concerns about the axle itself, but don't have much experience with them. I am pretty sure it's a 9" ford, but haven't seen it in person to verify. He will be using it to deliver firewood, thinking a cord at a time. That will probably load the truck to around 6k over rear axle.

Should he be worried about catastrophic failure? Just go through bearings faster? Interested in input.

If all you have to say is 6k is more than 2.7k and it's overloaded by the sticker, I already know that, no need to mention it. I am curious how the actual axle will hold up.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Bearings faster? Ha what about brakes?

3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah really. Stopping is kind of a good thing. As far as holding up, I'd have gotten a heavier truck but if that's not an option then get a spare rear axle out of a 3/4 ton and run the 9" till she blows.

4. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

He'll be in trouble if he gets stopped. Green firewood is 6000lbs per cord, plus the flat bed. You can't get enough wheel and tire under that for 4000lbs per side either. The wt. on the rear axle alone is more than the GVW for the whole truck. If he hits anybody he'll never own anything ever again.

5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Delivering firewood a cord at a time with an F150 single rear wheel dump bed is just plain stupid.