1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford 750

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mmacsek, Aug 31, 2003.

1. mmacsek

mmacsek Junior Member

I hope this is the right place to post but I have questions about a used truck. The truck is a 1983 F 750 with a 370 and 5 speed manual and a 2 speed rear. I'm looking to use this for hauling stone , topsoil etc. I have a lawn and landscape business. Is this a good engine ? Also , what is a 2 speed rear and how hard is it to drive? The price is $2750 and has some rust. I'm really tired of making a few trips to get 5 yds. of stone with my F-250.( Great truck) Thanks Matt
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Well it's a gasser so don't expect to get good milleage with it.The 2 spd rear might be hard if your not used to it,there is a small pin in the tranny that if you don't shift right will snap it basically it is a hi low switch you could keep it in low and be fine.
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

They are decent trucks.The 370 is a fuel pig,but otherwise a decent runner.Get rid of the govenor system if equipped as it's more trouble than it's worth.

The 2 spd rear should be easy enough to figure out.Be smooth when driving,and know you shift points,and it should hold up just fine.Don't use the clutch when shifting it,it's actually harder than not using it.Try not to get it hung up,or you will need to slow almost to a complete stop to get it engaged.I doubt you'll be happy driving that truck without shifting the axle,unless your totally empty.With any sort of weight on,the gear spread is just too great.
  4. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Learning a too speed, just take off on the low speed, get to your high gear, then pop it to the high side. Cheating yes, but easy enough.

5. jakegypsum

jakegypsum Senior Member

They are good running trucks. We ran several years ago until we updated a couple of them. We still have two. No problem pulling the weight. Our's were registered for 28,000lb GVW.
    The two-speed can be tricky but easy enough to learn. We trained many people and they picked up easy enough. Hardest part is when shifting the trans up and hitting the splitter button right after. Then rear will sing a nasty grinding song if you are too quick on the gas pedal.
    They do like their gas but they will pull good. If you service the engine regularly, it will last a very long time. Our 84' & 87' never needed engine work. No repair or replacement. Just service work. When we sold our 84', the new owner drove it right out of our yard. Our 87' is still in service. Good luck. Jake.
  6. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I have a 1988 Ford F-700 dump 370 5/2 with a 10 ' meyers I had to put a new engine in this year,and a rear when I sent a driver that didnt quite know how to drive it ,the rear went a couple blocks away.Other than that its a good plow truck.