1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford 7.3L diesel problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Dodgetruckman731, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Dodgetruckman731

Dodgetruckman731 Senior Member

Hi all,

I bought a 2003 F350 about a week and a half ago with 170,000 miles on it, today i was driving and it at 40 mph out of nowhere it started to shake violently, rpms dropped and wouldnt go up when i hit the gas. I pulled off to a side street and as i lost speed i tried accelerating and i couldnt get nothing. The motor sounded like it was running very weak, a steady light spudder. Then i came to a stop sign and it stalled out on me. I started it back up got it running drove it a few houses down the strret to my house got it in the driveway. I have no idea where to start with it, i can do gas but diesel is totally new to me.
    Right now it starts up, runs a little stronger but still not driveable. I looked for the fuel filter but cant find it it was dark i can look more tomarrow, my guess that it would be somthing with the fuel system, if anyone can point me in a direction to get started with this problem i would greatly appriciate it.

Chris

2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I am by no means a diesel person but I would check your water separator and filters and get some fresh fuel in it.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

If it's a 7.3, replace the Cam Position Sensor.

If it's a 6.0, replace the truck.

4. Dodgetruckman731

Thank you guys, i will give it all a shot and see where it takes me.

5. Dodgetruckman731

Mark it is the 7.3, but if it was the senor wouldnt an idiot light come on in the dash?

6. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

If its not the CPS have someone check your High Pressure Oil pump...... on the 7.3 the injectors are hydraulic and ran off the oil in the pan. I had to replace mine about a year ago at 100,000 miles but when it went bad it felt like the truck was dying since many of the cylinders were not firing.

7. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

No mine dident it just ran like crap and died. I put the new one in and it ran like a champ

8. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

x3 on the cps. they are known for taking a dump pretty often and will leave u stranded when they do. alot of guys carry an extra one in the truck

9. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Lots of good info on thedieselstop.com. Do a search and you usually can find someone who had the exact same issue. Good luck.

10. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I would start with the fuel filter. Top dead center

11. Mark Oomkes

Not necessarily.

I've had them both ways.

I can almost guarantee this will solve your problem.

12. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

CPS first thing I'd check. Then look over your wiring harnesses and valve cover wiring real carefully and make sure nothing is shorted out. Hold onto that truck. They don't make engines like that anymore.

13. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

14. 4wydnr

4wydnr Senior Member
    from N. IL

As an added bonus the cps is under recall anyway. The ford dealer has to replace it for free. So hopefully that is the issue.

15. mtk469

mtk469 Member

Does the recall go back to 99? I have a 99 with a 7.3 and if they will replace it thn I will have them do so. Thoughts?
    Thanks,
    matt

16. Mark Oomkes

TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers
    SUBJECT: Safety Recall 07S57:
    Certain 1997 - 2003 F-Super Duty, Excursion, and E-Series Vehicles
    Equipped with 7.3L Diesel Engines
    Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Inspection / Replacement
    AFFECTED VEHICLES
    Vehicle Line Model Years Assembly Plant Production Dates
    Econoline 1997-2003 Lorain Assembly Plant 4/3/1996 - 9/16/2003
    Excursion 2000-2003 Kentucky Truck Plant 3/25/1999 - 11/1/2002
    F650/750 Series 2000-2003 Cuautitlan Assembly Plant 1/20/1999 - 10/31/2002
    F-Series 1997 Kentucky Truck Plant 6/18/1996 - 12/17/1997
    F-Series 1997 Cuautitlan Assembly Plant 6/11/1996 - 12/10/1997
    F-Series 1999-2003 Kentucky Truck Plant 9/3/1997 - 11/4/2002
    F-Series 1999-2003 Cuautitlan Assembly Plant 10/2/1998 - 7/21/2003
    Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS. In addition, for a list of vehicles assigned to your dealership,
    visit https://web.fsavinlists.dealerconnection.com. This information will be available on December 04,
    REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
    In some of the affected vehicles, the Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor may fail due to circuit
    degradation. If the CMP Sensor should fail, the engine may stall. In the event of an engine stall, a
    crash could result without warning. A new CMP Sensor with improved reliability is now available.
    SERVICE ACTION
    Dealers are to inspect the CMP Sensor to verify which design level sensor is installed in the affected
    vehicles, and replace all prior level sensors. This service must be performed on affected vehicles at no
    charge to the vehicle owner.
    OWNER NOTIFICATION MAILING SCHEDULE
    Parts to repair this condition are currently not available in sufficient quantities to service all of the
    affected vehicles. Therefore, to ensure that an ample supply of parts is available, owners of affected
    vehicles will be notified in separate phase mailings over several months. Phase mailing will begin the
    week of December 17, 2007; prioritized by age of vehicle. Dealers should repair any affected vehicles
    that arrive at their dealerships, whether or not the customer has received a letter.

17. mtk469

mtk469 Member

Thanks Mark. I appreciate the info.

18. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

Could be the CPS but I would bet on the fuel filter. I have had the CPS go out twice the first time the truck just died and would not restart. The second one was intermittent and the truck would die but start back up and run fine. Change the fuel filter and see what it does.

19. Mark Oomkes

That's why I suggested the CPS, I've had 3 go out and never stranded any of them. I was able to drive all 3 to the shop, just ran like crap randomly.

20. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

turn your truck over and look at the tach, most likely if it doesn't show an rpms its your cps. when my cps went the truck just stalled and would not start, then i waited an hour and would run for about 3 minutes. seems like they all do some crazy stuff when the cps fails.