1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ford 7.3 Power Stoke - What years??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Carriage House, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Carriage House

Carriage House Junior Member

I have purchased a 1999 F-550 Super Duty chassis that needs some engine work or replacement. If I do end up swapping it out what range of years could I use for a donor engine, I want to make it as simple a swap as possible same wiring harness etc...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm usually a chevy guy but couldn't pass up this deal.

Thanks
    -Kris

2. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

99+ should be a direct plug in swap. What is the build date of your truck?

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

1999 to 2003 to be exact. That will be a nice plug&play sort of thing. After 03' they began using the 6.0 powerstroke. I have heard that some early 6.0 were a nightmare and a half.

4. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

thermos is correct up to 03 but I figured it went without saying you can't just "plug and play" a 6.0 in place of a 7.3. lol
    I believe the early 99 engines will still "plug & play" with the late 99+ 7.3, but I am not certain. I know the early 99 has a different turbo, intake, and intake Y-pipe.

5. Carriage House

Carriage House Junior Member

Thanks guys.... time to get to work on it. I'll hopefully have one hell of a one ton+ dump ready to roll this spring!