1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford 7.3 Owners

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by rob1325, Nov 15, 2005.

1. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

I just did my annual painting of the oil pan. Just reminding everyone to check theres out. These pans rust out and are big bucks to change. Learned that from my older fords way back.
  2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

My pan has still got paint on it and looks good. Do you wash your truck in the winter. Letting the undercarriage sit covered in salt is tough for the thing. I also have an oil leak that coats a good portion of my pan. good rust prohibiter.
  3. Jray3369

Jray3369 Junior Member

I bought a por 15 starter kit on ebay and did my pan last week, turned out real nice and i shouldn't have to do it again for a while or ever. Key word is shouldn't.
  4. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

I wash my trucks off, but still that pan rusts. I paint it yearly, and sometimes oil them down. Cheaper to do little maintence
  5. timberjack

timberjack Member

Yeah, por-15 is the way to go. I painted my 96's pan about six months ago, and am anxious to see how it handles the salt, sand, and winter in general. So far it's held up against muddy and gravel roads well. I find it holds better if you spray it on, rather than brushing. I first bought a starter kit years ago, and brushed it on to the rocker panels of my 2000 Chevy, but it basically fell off, maybe i didn't prep well enough. Oh, one other thing, don't keep the stuff around too long. I had about half of the starter kit stored in my basement cold room for two years. When i opened the sealed containers up this summer, the paint had turned into a black brick. I buy it by the quart now, but only when i have enough painting to make sure i use it up within a month or so.

Back to the oilpans. It's funny, my 95's oil pan is like new, no bubbling, rust or anything. The 96's looked like it was about to disintegrate. I was afraid to scrape off the rust pieces in case oil would start gushing out. :eek: I did, figuring if it's going to leak, i might as well get it over with, but it seems plenty thick enough. Anyway, it is nice and glossy now, no hint of bubbling, rusting or such. If it lasts a year (hoping for ever too) i'll be pleased.