1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford 7.3 oil pan ??

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by MidcoastMainiac, Jan 7, 2010.

1. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

I have an 2000 F-450 4x4 automatic that is in need of an oil pan. I know this subject has been talked about a lot before, but I haven't been able to find the answer to my question. I know that to do a proper repair, the motor must come out. If I was to remove the front clip (ie radiator, grill, and fenders) does the turbo still have to come off? Also, is it easier to pull the engine with or with out transmission with all that removed?

Thanks

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

i know a guy who does them cheeper than anyone else in the area.

only catch is :rolleyes:

he cuts out the engine crossmember . does the pan. welds it back in place. ( only after telling them what he is going to do and thay o.k. it )

he has even done a few on plow trucks. no problems yet.

just another idea for you to think of. as pulling a 7.3 is a pita.

and did you check on a oem ford pan? i swaped a pan 1 time made from china. was 20 bucks more than ford pan and made wrong. had to do it over with ford pan. the corners at the rounds for the main seal areas were 45* not 90* didnt pinch gasket correctly. leaked oil up hills.

3. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

Is it a dump? because you can unbolt the front of cab mounts jack the cab up( its its a dump you tilt the bed up so the cab dose not smash the bed) unbolt the motor mounts, jack the front of the motor up and sneak the pan out.

4. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

it seems common for these to go bad. why is that? just curious. i dont have one but you never know may in future.

5. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

It does have a dump bed and what a concept. I am going to run the idea past my mechanic this morning as my truck is already in his shop for other problems.

6. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

My brother did his in his driveway. Twice....the first time it leaked. Boy was he mad. But he got it done.

7. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

im doing one in my 97 in the spring, i think im gong to por 15 the new pan. anyone have issues with pulling the motor and the trans together?

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Find someone who knows how to weld, I mean really knows their stuff, cut the cross member, drop the pan, install new one, weld crossmember back in place and be done with it.

This happens because (forgive the deragotory tone here) IH used crap for steel. Ford allowed them to use crap for steel. Probably because some idiot bean counter thought they could save $.50 by using crap steel and then they lost their butts on warranty work replacing crap steel oil pans.

Ignore the Disclaimer on this one.

9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I take it you have done this?

10. Mark Oomkes

See my disclaimer.

Only the facts. I don't joke around.

11. cretebaby

Hmmmm.....I see no disclaimer. :confused:

I wonder if it fell victim to the big red button. :laughing:

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

This is what they use
    easy_button.jpg

easy_button.jpg

13. cretebaby

More like this.

Delete button.jpg

14. nymustang50

nymustang50 Senior Member

Bad poor metal is the cause. And in the dealer they have a special hoist for the 7.3 when doing the oil pans. The cutting of the cross member will work.. New York state DPW does it to there own trucks when they needed the oil pans..

15. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

I was lucky the dealer did mine under warranty...They originally told me they wouldn't because I plow with the truck...

16. tracer22j

tracer22j Junior Member

i can't believe cutting the crossmember out and welding it back in would be a good way we unbolt cab mounts jack up body then undo tranny and motor mounts its easier than all that cutting and welding let me guess you torch it out too

17. Mark Oomkes

Believe it and it is waaaaay easier and cheaper.

18. tracer22j

tracer22j Junior Member

its also kinda hackin it but what ever works i guess we have clipped trucks before but never took torch out and cut a crossmember out and welded it back in

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What do you mean by that?

20. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member