1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford 7.3 Mileage / power

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by unimogr, Apr 6, 2005.

1. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

Hi Guys,

I have an 02 F-450, 4x4, 7.3, auto, w/4:31s I bought new. It has 35,000 miles. Last time I checked it was getting 10.5 miles to the gallon and that's running almost all hiway and unloaded.

It lacks the power my 2000 1 ton dually diesel, auto, 4:11s had by far. That one was a screamer and got 14/15 mpg.

I would think with the lower axle ratio it should pull better but it's a slug on hills. It's been back to the dealer 3 times and they say it's just fine the way it is. I've seen the check engine light come on climbing hills towing 10,000# and they say it doesn't show it ever came on. My 1 ton could out pull it easily.

What mileage are you guys getting? Any words of wisdom?
  2. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Bigger intake, open up the exhaust and put a mild chip in it. With those modifications it will scream and get much better mileage. A diesel need to breath and from the factory they are badly choked off. I would recommend a Tymar intake, 4" straight exhaust and a off the shelf mild chip.
  3. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I have heard that the F450 and 550's are set-up a little different from the factory. A friend of mine owns a trucking company that hauls cattle, he has 2-F350 DRW 4X4's, and a F-550 4X4 all with the 7.3L/6 spd. He told me that his 550 feels like it has less power than his 350's do. I talked Jeff into putting on a Tymar intake, 4" down pipe with 4" stainless exhaust, and a 100hp TS Performance chip. He now loves the truck and is thinking about doing the same think to his 350's.
  4. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

I have an 01 SD with the 7.3PSD 6 speed manual I dont know the gearing but I get 15 around town and 21 Hiway and with my 5th wheel camper 12-15. I have a 99 PSD auto and get around 15 highway. I find my best mileage is RPMs less than 2100
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I get between 10-12 on my 350 7.3 around town and 14-16 on the highway, but some say I have a heavy foot. :D :nod: I love the low end power it has compared to our 2 550's, which both have 6.0's.

Maybe they set these up differently as well???