1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford 7.3 diesel

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by TazLandscapes, Oct 15, 2008.

1. TazLandscapes

TazLandscapes Senior Member

i am thinking of buying a diesel truck. and i am thinking of finding a truck with the 7.3 diesel in it. but i cant remeber when ford stopped making the 7.3 and started producing the troublesome 6.0. also if i cant get a 7.3.what year 6.0 should i get. everyone keeps telling me to stay away from the early 6.0 motors..

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

you could get 03's with both engines but there wasnt many 03-7.3 so basically pre 03
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  3. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

the best 6.0s were late 05-07, but id recommend a 7.3...i love mine
  4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

saw one on the right hand side of route 111 going from biddeford toward rochester the other day. only maybe four or five miles down 111 coming from biddeford it was extended cab tan i think. Looked in good shape, private sale.

take a look.
  5. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

1999-2002 for the 7.3. You might find an odd ball 2003 with the 7.3 but that will be a very hard find. 2004-2007 for the 6.0 only.
  6. Josh Steere

Josh Steere Junior Member
    from iowa

If there is anybody looking for a good truck i am selling one.
    02 F250 superduty 7.3 powerstroke 123k.
    4X4 Crew Cab long bed
    New Michlen rubber
    New Lear Topper
    5th Wheel
    Truck bed coated
    Very clean inside and out.

Shoot me an offer

Can get picutres.

7. Ladder15

Ladder15 Junior Member

I guess mine is an oddball... one of the last 7.3's....

I Love it!

2003 F250 SC 7.3L PSD
    Fisher 8' HD MMII

Hope you find one!
  8. TazLandscapes

TazLandscapes Senior Member

Thanks guys for the help. it will point me in the right direction.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

6.0's are a crap shoot for reliability. I have an '04 that's been a POS.

Find a 7.3 and you WILL be happy.
  10. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

you and me both.....i thought 03's were a 50/50 split for motors....
  11. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

me too i think they ran the 7.3 powerstroke until 2003.5 and the 6.0 2003.5 to 2007... it all depends on what part of the year the truck was built and thats the engine it got. :nod:
  12. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

As people have stated the years of the 7.3 in "Superduty" Trucks were 99-03

In 03 the 6.0 and the 7.3 were both an options but Ford generally pushed for more 6.0s to sell, thus the 7.3 was on it's way out.

You still can find 03 7.3s relatively easy if you are willing to travel outside of Maine as I found out myself. I specifically wanted an 03 7.3.

7.3s have had slight changed over the years.

Overall I would suggest telling us if you plan to keep the motor stock or not, if you plan on modifying it and adding power I would recommend a 99-2000 7.3 due to that fact they have forged connecting rods and are much stronger than the Powered Metal Rod (PMRs) that started coming in the 7.3s in 2001, still a forged type but a weaker manufacturing process, making a weaker rod. That is definitely something you want to consider when looking at a 7.3. I can look up the VIN #s and years for the PMRs but I'd have to do a little research.

Also in mid 99 or so they changed a few things on the motors which are pretty significant. These models are generally called early 99s. The turbo pedestal was different, the air intake was different and a few other things, again this is something to consider if you want to modify the motor.

If you find an 03 sometimes it will be a California emissions trucks, which is what mine is. The only major different is that it uses a glow plug control module (GPCM) rather than the typical glow plug relay system (GPR). The GPCM is actually a separate monitoring systems that constantly controls and checks the glow plug, it will also throw a check engine light if anything is wrong with the glow plugs, which is very handy and takes the guess work out of finding bad glow plugs when you have a starting problem, hands down it is a better systems.

The 03s can have a slightly better interior, a little bit different gauge cluster, etc.

Like I said if you are willing to travel out of Maine like I did to find one they are well worth it. Autotrader and Ebay will be your best bet.

Or check out this place in NH, they sell alot of diesels and can probably find something for you. I haven't done any business with them though.

13. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

i had both in 03 needless to say i got rid of my 6.0 in 05 because it was a POS and i love ford trucks and only 2 months agao i got rid of my 7.3 with 200,000+ miles with no major issues excepy oil pan which was covered under warrenty so they are out there just look a little. i also have 06 ad 07s 6.0 w/ no problems yet either just stay away from 03 and 04 and also the new 6.4. i know they are a bunch of 7.3 left aound here for sale
  14. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

03 trucks produced 9/02-12/02 were 7.3's. 1/03-later were 6.0's. so roughly 30% were 7.3's. ;)

Same with GM on the switch from LB7-LLY-LBZ, etc. Only difference was LMM, NBS only. The model year begins a few months of the end of the previous year, but production with an upgraded engine or newer available options begins on the actual year/date.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  15. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

When did they start making the 7.3?
  16. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

first turboed in 93' I think but dont quote me I think they went from th 6.9 to the 7.3 in 87'
  17. ducatirider944

from Iowa

Where were you on monday? Just bought a 99' for a second truck on tueday night! I'm even in IA and had to drive to IL to get it
  18. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i posted where this guy can get a 7.3 about eight posts up.
    It is only thirty minutes from what his location says.
    By now it might be gone though.
    Wonder if he ever went over and looked at it/bought it?????
  19. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

my neigbor has a 85 dually and I thought it was a 7.3. Is that possible? And if so could you put a turbo in it?
  20. ducatirider944

from Iowa

I have a 04' 6.0L and have only had a few minor problems. It has 135K on it and I pull #20k on a regular basis. It is amasing how everyone jumps is and says they are crap and probably haven't even owned one, their friend's, friend's, uncle's, dog owned one and blew out the heads after adding a 125 hp chip! I first hand also owned a 7.3L and yes the engine is bullet proof. The tranny on the other hand isn't. I personally went through 2 trannies and on the third one found the reason why. Ford put weaker torque converters and softer shift points in the trannies because all the suits bi*chin about how hard they shift when they drive around town with their brief case and once a month it pulls their 2500# boats! If you get a 7.3L put a shift kit and a towing converter and you will have a bullet proof set up
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2008