1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ford 6.2

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by R.J.B., Apr 30, 2015.

1. R.J.B.

R.J.B. Member

I have a 2011 powerstroke and looking to get into something new. I was wondering if everyone that has a 6.2 is happy with them. I have an xlt but found a platinum 350 with the 6.2. I could really only afford that trim without the diesel. Would it be a mistake goin back to gas? I only tow a small skid a couple times a month with my own truck.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Why do you wanna get rid of your 11?
  3. R.J.B.

R.J.B. Member

Just want to trade up. 55k on it never had a problem. Just want to upgrade. I've heard alot of guys are Goin gas trucks
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ok. Wish I had your money then.
  5. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

I went from a 7.3 in a 2000 F250 to a 12 F250 with the 6.2 and I'm very happy with it. I couldn't see spending an additional $8500 on an engine that requires more for maintenance and fuel that on average is .50 a gallon more. I average about 14 mpg with the 6.2 where my 7.3 was 16 mpg.
  6. R.J.B.

R.J.B. Member

Ok. That's what I was wondering if I would regret it. Seems like alot are happy.
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

No problem with mine.does everything I need it to do.
  8. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Senior Member

A friend of mine has a 6.2 gas with 4.30 gears that he uses to tow a 14,000# fifthwheel. He has no regrets and averages 8mpg towing and 14mpg not towing. I just ordered the same truck for myself to tow a fifthwheel. You don't see many gas owners complaining about limp modes, esc. I couldn't justify spending $8500 more knowing the potential problems. If I didn't care about reliability, I would have bought a diesel in a heartbeat because that 6.7 hauls.
  9. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

Have a 2011 and 2014 with the 6.2. no complaints
  10. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I traded in a 2011 F250 6.7PSD for a 2015 F350 6.2
    Does everything I need it to do also.
    I might add that I do not tow anything.
    I have an 8 1/2 ft. Western Plow on the front.
    The back of the truck takes care of my junk removal service.
  11. Dan R 4000

Dan R 4000 Member
    from Oh

I have a 2011 F350, 2014 F250 & 2015 F250 and they all have the 6.2 gas and I'm pulling a 25' gooseneck trailer with a S650 skidsteer and a brush mower everyday and I'm getting 9.7 mpg, the 2011 has 60k miles on it and never a problem Thumbs Up
  12. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I have a 2013 350 with a 6.2. It is my first gas truck and has been great. I push a 9.2dxt with wings and tow 12-16k every week with no issues. I will hit 50k miles tomorrow and have only done oil changes and air filters. When I replace it I will go back to a diesel but only because I am a diesel nut. The 6.2 has never let me down.
  13. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I'm still on the fence Robert, I just hit 10k miles still find myself missing the push you in the seat power a diesel has. Besides not having the power I hate having an automatic trans, I don't like not having control of engine RPM's and shift points. Yes it has "manual mode" but that's BS and a PITA to run while driving.
    I think a 6.2 would be much better with a supercharger or turbo when being used at altitude and/or pulling any real weight.
  14. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I have a 7.3
    2 6.0
    1 6.7
    And just bought a gas dump
    I had the gas 6.2 in a pick up was fine up raged to 6.7 cuz was in love with the platinum
    Traded one of 6.0 in for gas
    I feel for cutting crews you are fine and you will have no real issues with the truck but don't expect the feel of a disel
    I'm not yet sold on pulling skids and mini every day yet with them so my construction crews use my disels
    I will be getting out of all ford disel eventually not sure if ford gas is the answer or another company I wish the internationals weren't so much money cuz the 2 I have are my best trucks
  15. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Just rolled over 4K on our new '15 6.2. Had some issues with our '13 and '14 Rams and decided to give Ford a try.

Pulls an 8.5X24 enclosed trailer with 2 60" Turf Tracers and 2 72 inch Lazer Z's every day and does 10.1 hand calc'd MPG in town.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but in my very humble opinion, it pulls a 14' dump trailer and that enclosed trailer just as well as the newest diesel I've got, 09 Cummins. And is a hell of lot cheaper when stuff goes wrong.
  16. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

What kind of problems where you having with your new rams? I'm assuming they are gas since you mentioned your newest diesel is a '09?
  17. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

I tow almost daily with my 6.7 stroker. We also have a 6.2 and the 6.7 outpulls it by a long shot. Hook up the dump trailer with the tracked skid loader to both of them and you can feel the difference. Night and day. Hook up to a gravity box full of wheat and the 6.2 can't hold the hills. The 6.7 will pick up speed on the hills. With the same types of use the 6.2 is getting 10 mpg and the 6.7 14 mpg.
  18. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Electrical gremlins, and trans issues. The '14 sat in the shop for one day shy of a full month before they finally gave up and put an entire main engine/trans harness in it. The '13 has been better, but still had a new trans under 10K.

Both are 6.4 Hemi's.

I test drove and towed a little bit with a 6.7 before I stuck to gas with Ford and didn't feel enough of a difference to justify it.

GVW of 20K plus is what I'd have to be constantly to consider the diesel again.
  19. Hopalong

Hopalong Junior Member

I dig them! Especially matched up to the 6 speed torque shift trans. They tow amazing and plow just as good for a gas powered engine. I have 10 or 12 of them in my fleet at work in a variety from 250's and up. actually have not had a single issue with any of them and our city employees are VERY hard on stuff. My personal truck is a 2008 extended can short bed with a 5.4 and I'm pretty sure my next rig will have a 6.2
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  20. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

Love my 6.2 (3.73 CCSB). Pulled 10-12k with it a few times, never wanted for more power. Pulls an 8k enclosed all day without trouble.

Plowing it's more than powerful enough (even without the 4.30's). The only issue I've had is the lack of immediate throttle response with the Fly-by-wire setup (sometimes a full second delay when you put it to the wood from a stand still, ie. unstucking the truck.)
    A tune from 5-star should fix that once my warranty is up.