1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ford 6.0 question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jimslawnsnow, Apr 28, 2013.

1. jimslawnsnow

jimslawnsnow PlowSite Fanatic
    from mn

I have a 6.0. Sometimes it seems like it runs on 7 cylinders, and I'll hit a bump or was slamming it around pulling another truck that the tranny went out of it will run fine. When it runs food and hit the brakes a tad hard it starts to run rough again. Any ideas what it could be?

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

change its diet, check the fuel filters

3. jimslawnsnow

from mn

I forgot to mention in June of last year I had the fuel pump replaced along with filters and had the FICM rebuilt. It slowly started shortly after. Now its to the point that its annoying

4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Better scan it and check for misfires. Sounds like an injector bumping in and out. If the FICM is good, I'd point to an injector.

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

6. jimslawnsnow

from mn

Its suppose to say good. Dang phone

7. jimslawnsnow

from mn

Turned out to be a loose plug in on the fuel module

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Loose plugs good, no money spent!

9. jimslawnsnow

from mn

Not really. It seems worn out. Going to have the shop look at it and see what can be done. Still cheaper than injectors.

10. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Senior Member

I would be willing to bet it the the wiring harness coming off the FICM to the injectors. On my old 6.0 that burnt up I had to replace the FICM, then 4 months later it seemed to be running on 7 cylinders, then I had to replace one injector. a short time after that it started running rough like a misfire and I would hit a bump and it would stop. After working with the dealer as they couldn't get it to happen we discovered a problem with the harness, when it would run rough you would wiggle the wiring harness from the FICM and it would come out of it, which is why a bump would put it in a misfire and clear it up. I suspect the harness was kinked during one of the repair sessions, I think a new harness from ford was around $180 if I recall correctly.

11. jimslawnsnow

from mn

well it turned out to be a cracked chip board on the FICM. if I remember he said there is 2 and it was the one with power or something like that. I am no expert, but am getting closer with my 3 diesels. all different engine and brands of trucks. $98 later and it runs great now, except for the front end makes a noise.

12. jimslawnsnow

from mn

Update as of March of this year. I traded the pile of junk off for a Chevy gasser. Had to put a wire harness in as well. Was using antifreeze again too.