1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford 6.0 4x4 Dually F 450....Go or No??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by weasel11, Nov 5, 2011.

1. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

I saw one for sale and is in nice shape. 110K miles and very clean. 10K aluminum bed on it. Dually and Diesel
    I have 7.3's and love'm like most everyone else, but I remember when the 6.0 came out in 2003 a lot of issues came with them.
    Did Ford get it right by 2006? What issues do they have? What should it need at the current mileage and in the next 50K miles?
    Do they plow well?

Thanks

2. wewille

wewille Senior Member

They plow great, where are you located? Reliability can be an issue, but with proper maintenance they can hold up very well. Use a cetane boost, high quality fuel, 10w30 oil year round, limit idling, change oil regularly, maintain coolant quality, and dont listen to 6.0 bashers. You can be very happy with the truck. Take it to somebody well educated in them to test for egr cooler, headgaskets and any other issues before a purchase as they are possibly the most expensive problems. Any questions pm me. If your located in Southern Wisconsin I would be more than happy to help you out. The 6.0 can be a great motor, it will just require more care than your 7.3's. Common problems are egr coolers, carboned egr valves, headgaskets, injectors(but what diesel doesnt have injectors fail?), fuel injection control modules, high pressure oil leaks(which are not an issue on 03's). Also do you have the vin number?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  3. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

^^^^^^ x2.

4. NFDDJS

NFDDJS Member
    from USA, NH

I was a "6.0 basher" for many years. I got a new one and thought it was great for 2 weeks and then had nothing but trouble and dumped the truck and got a GMC 4500 and still have the 4500. Love the 4500 and still have it. That being said if I found a good deal on a F450 or F550 with a 6.0 motor I would buy it because the 6.0 motor problems are very well known and now they know how to fix them. You can even buy kits to replace or fix all the problems they had. Also ford stopped putting the 6.0 motor in the trucks but up untill this year they were still putting the 6.0 motor in the vans. You see your city/town ambulance if it is a ford van or van front up till this year they all kept the 6.0 motor and other then some problems with the A/C they were trouble free. Back when I got my F-550 with the 6.0 it was the first year and every problem was a new problem that they had to trouble shoot but not now they should be able to fix it and get it out the door fast.

5. 87chevy

87chevy Senior Member

EGR delete and ARP head studs and you'll never have a problem with it

6. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

I have read some of Wewille's posts and I think he is very knowledgable on the 6.0's. That being said I would not buy one, I have owned one truck with a 6.0. 3 sets of head gaskets in 85000 miles and the last 2 sets were after the block was studded. Couple that up with the turbo issues and intercooler and they are very expensive to keep on the road. Also when the day comes to trade them in Ford does not like to give you much for them because they know the trouble with them as well. I know this as I traded my 6.0 in recently and even though they dont want to admit the 6.0 has any real problems they dont want to own them for much $$ either. Now can a guy like Wewille make them stay together probably he definately sounds solid on the subject but from what I have heard to make them durable and last you will be into it for $10,000 give or take. So if you know that going in Im not sure why you would want that headache when you could get a truck without all the known problems and it can be productive for you without additional cost and without the precious down time. I certainly dont want to argue with anyone about this I am just telling you my experience. And my 2 cents. Good Luck

7. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

A brief solution from a similar question......

High mileage or low mileage, either way right off the bat your gonna want to spend a couple of hundred dollars for a monitor/gauge set-up.

The link below will give you a basic idea what is gonna need to be checked for on the health of the motor.
    http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-tech-files/173767-things-consider-about-owning-6-0l.html
    Then depending on what you find out with the monitor/gauges, you might be spending more money on fixing the issues so you won't run into bigger expensive repair bills.

I would suggest buying a monitor like a ScangaugeII in order to atleast check the EOT/ECT delta BEFORE you buy the truck. Then you'll be able to check other potential trucks if need be.

Because depending on the year 6.0, there are other upgrades that should also be preformed to prevent costly repairs or being stranded on the side of the road.

Here is some more info.
    http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-tech-files/58006-what-look-when-buying-used-6-0l.html
    There are plenty of 6.0 owners who are running stock head bolts. You don't have to have head studs. Alot of the common issues can be prevented with proper maintenance and gauges/monitor.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  8. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

We have 2 06 350 srw with the psd. No issues with ours. Get a dealer to perform an oasis report to see the repair history on it. My brothers 06 has a lot of work on it bc he runs innovatives custom tunes so we did alot of bulletproofing to his truck. I wouldnt hesitate to buy other clean 06-07 trucks