1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford 550 12ft dump 2wd Good for plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by crewcutenterprises, Feb 26, 2005.

1. crewcutenterprises

crewcutenterprises Member

Hello,

I own a 99f250. 5.4 liter gas with a poly western 7.5
    I just bought a 99 f350 xlt diesel and am installing a blizzard 810in the fall.

Now my thought is to trade in the 4x4 gas 5.4 liter 250 for a 550 diesel without 4x4. It it a necessary? Can i just install a locking rear and a pallet of sand or salt??

Thansk Jason

2. mattyd

mattyd Junior Member
    from ct

I've used a 450 two wheel drive, but with a sander. I think the best advice would be to stick to parking lots. The 450 did fine in parking lots. Driveways were different stories which I would not like recall.

3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

crew cut , I am in your back yard , you just bought a great plow truck , if you need more info send me a email at, rachett1@aol.com swing by my house and i ca show you a few tips before the spring season Matt

4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

A friend of mine has a F-550 with a 10' dump and 2' mid mounted tool box with 8.5 meyer. He got 2wd and only uses it for parking lots. He wishes it was 4x4 now. But he said if you fill it with gravel, and its no to slick it will do just fine.