1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford 5000 glow plugs

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by thermo, Apr 24, 2012.

1. thermo

thermo Member
    from USA

Does anybody know how to turn on the glow plugs for a ford 5000 tractor? It seems that our old 5000(we sold it) you would turn the key counterclockwise, but on our newer 5000 you cant turn the key counterclockwise. I think its a 70's model but im not sure what exact year. Thank you.

2. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

What engine? 3 or 4 cyl. Round or inline injection pump?

3. adino1954

adino1954 Junior Member
    from ct

If it has a inline fuel injection pump there is a button on the side that is a fuel advance (cold start). simply push the throttle all the way up and push the button. Start the tractor but be quick to pull the throttle down. I feel this is better than glow plugs. I have this feature on my 6610 and it starts on the coldest days

4. thermo

thermo Member
    from USA

Thanks for the replies. It is the 4 cylinder 256. Im not for sure about the injection pump, but I will check it out.

5. jhenderson9196

The 256 doesn't have glow plugs or the excess fuel button. Older modles had 1 heating element in the intake manifold. That system is no longer serviced, mostly because of fires from poorly maintained equipment.

6. thermo

thermo Member
    from USA

O ok. Thank you for informing me of that. It does have a heater on the brake pedal side. I assume it an engine block heater but im not for sure. Is this the heating element you are speaking of? If so, do I need to worry about it causing a fire? Thanks for all the help from everyone so far.

7. jhenderson9196

No. The heater I was talking about is 12 volt. It looks like a temp sender, and screws into a threaded boss in the intake manifold.

8. thermo

thermo Member
    from USA

You seem to be very knowledgeable about ford tractors jhenderson. Are there any common problems with the late model ford 5000s, or anything I should keep a special eye on besides the usually?

9. jhenderson9196

My logging machine is a Gafner Iron Mule. It is based on a combination of Ford ag and industrial tractors. Mine has a Ford 268 diesel. These were put into 6000 and 7000 series tractors. Because Gafner was bought out in 1989, and has changed hands several times , ( now owned by Komatsu Forest) I have had to educate myself. When Gafner owned the company, I could call Norm in parts and get whatever I needed. If I call now, no one even knows what machine I'm talking about. These tractors are pretty stout. Regular maint will take them a long way. Good quality oil and grease, and keep up with the little things before they get big. Parts are available. I use Messicks.com.