1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford 5.4 engine Owners

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MickiRig1, Jun 11, 2009.

1. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have a 99 F-250 with the 5.4. It starts like my foot is on the gas pedal. It jumps to 1000 RPM when it starts. Anybody else have this problem? I am thinking it's the throttle position sensor has gone bad. The Wife was driving it when it started. She could break an anvil !! "I don't know what happen, that horn thingy, just broke off of the anvil ! "

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

It could be throttle body that have excess carbon cause not close Full way that why you notice. But quick diagnostic do gas pedal sticky when try push? Not like free but more like it tight?

Best is use old tooth brush and throttle body cleaner. I have see one on 02 expedition that have 280,000 miles first time it have clean throttle body where butterfly is. LOT carbon make butterfly hard to open. Owner told me everytime in morning he worry about crash in garage door when put in gear .It would stay 1,700 rpm until it become warm it back normal. After that it fix when he did clean throttle body.

3. MickiRig1

It does not stay at the high RPM after it starts. No high idle, it's like my foot is on the gas when it starts. The gas pedal is free and smooth operating. The butterfly is sitting on the stop no space between it.

4. Milwaukee

Could be vacuum leak

or IAC not work right

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's probably the funniest thing I'm going to read all day.

7. MickiRig1

I spend half my time at home repairing stuff the family breaks! I just replaced the screen on the sliding glass door. The next morning there is a big hole in the side entrance door's screen! Nobody knows how it happened, dog get's the blame. Thingy is actually in the spell check, now that's funny.

8. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

check the hose rr valve cover from pcv valve to back of manifold . spray alittle 2+2 see if the idle changes

JR

9. J29

J29 Senior Member

My dad's 99 F150 does that also, although he has the 4.6L. Once it starts, it revs to 1,000 then after 10 seconds or so, returns to about 650-700. Has been doing that since new, never any problems with it. My 06 Ranger is similar. J.

10. MickiRig1

I just worry that it starts with such a high RPM without oil pressure. It may shorten the life of the engine. Other people I know that have them, have much newer trucks. I just have not had the time to pull out the VOM, the book and test stuff. It's a full time job at my house just keeping up with repairs to the house and the stuff in it !

11. Milwaukee

question oil cap on that engine say 5w30? Use that motorcraft 5w30 synthetic blend then it should be ok.

5.4L are TOUGH engine that I know. Guy have one in 01 F250 he abusive from first day he own. It still have oil pressure 35 psi with 5w20 now. Install real oil pressure gauge since we don't trust factory gauge.