1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford 4x4 Questions

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by theguynextdoor, Dec 1, 2008.

1. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I just recently got a 2000 Ford F250 Superduty. On my dodge, I just pull the lever into 4hi, but in the ford I was having a problem with the truck in 4x4. I pulled the lever to 4hi while in neutral, but didn't feel like it was in 4x4. I put it back to 2H but the 4x4 light stays on. I don't think its in 4x4. Am I suppposed to lock the front hubs or something? I have heard of this on some trucks, but am not sure how to do it. Thanks for the help with my rookie question.
  2. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

almost all the newer fords will go in 4 hi in gear they call it shift on the fly my dad had a 350 that year it wouldnt go in 4 if it was at a crazy angle
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Would help if you lock the hubs in. Sometimes you may have to roll a little for it to sync.
  4. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

If you have the floor mounted transfer case shift lever you need to manually lock your hubs since you don't have the vacuum locking hubs.
    The hubs should have a "Free" and "Lock" Position....turn them to the "Lock" position.

I have the Electronic Shift On the Fly (ESOF) with the vacuum locking auto hubs, but I still manually lock them :D
    With the ESOF the hubs have an "Auto" and "Lock" position.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If it is a manual shift 4X4 system the dash light may not go off until the truck changes direction.