1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford 460 EFI Engine Surge

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jdr37, Sep 17, 2007.

1. jdr37

jdr37 Junior Member
    from FL

I have a motor home on a '95 F53 chassis with EFI 460. New fuel pump, new fuel pressure regulator, new fuel filter, new plugs and wires. At 1500 to 2200 RPM UNDER load I get an engine surge. I don't have a vacuum gauge, but my guess is that it starts surging at about 8, maybe 7. Let up on gas and no surge. From 2200+ RPM runs great. Any ideas??

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would think the throttle position sensor has issues ! Most single model repair manuals have check out procedures for EFI and emissions sensors etc. I do believe a VOM on it as you move the throttle will tell the story. It will jump voltage or resistance all of a sudden.
    Make sure all the vacuum lines are good and connected. Some trucks have a "Libbys"
    juice can type thing for a vacuum reservoir (Some are plastic.). They rust out and starve the relays of vacuum. It will be on the RT plastic fender liner. Make sure it's OK.
    Ford likes to change systems and parts so read the manual close and look and see what you have.The 460 has stuff that most motors don't have read up on it. It may have an oil pressure sensor that's getting weak and starting to shut off the engine. Or a fuel warmer that closes off when it dies.Make sure you got all the fuel filters. My Dad's motor home had 2 (Dodge ).

3. jdr37

jdr37 Junior Member
    from FL

Thanks MickiRig1, I'll check all those out.