1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford 250HD

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by firelwn82, Mar 16, 2006.

1. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

I picked up a 97 250HD 351 and wondered what if anything has been done to these things to get better fuel economy. Filter Swap I know, and then I heard you can take off smog junk and gain 4 to 7% holy poo. Just wondering miss the Ranger, need the 3/4.

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Drive slower and accelerate slower:rolleyes:

3. firelwn82

oh yea know that to

4. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Supposedly.............K&N air filters are supposed to make a difference from what a mechanic friend of mine has said.

5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Not much you can really do... you will most likely spend more money than it is worth to get very small gains... Just going to have to learn to live with a lighter wallet...

6. firelwn82

Already feeling that. I didn't think that I would miss that little danger ranger as much as I dopayup

7. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Your problem is that it is a 351. That thing is a gas hog. I had one in a 1996 F150 EXT. cab with longbed and cap. Not a good daily driver at 8 to MPG!:dizzy:

8. Plow King

Plow King Senior Member

Do a full tune up, other than that just drive with a light foot.

9. firelwn82

well atleast I'm getting 10mpg:eek: Thats the first thing that I did was a tune up. Gonna hate to see what happens when the 16 foot enclosed gets snatched to the back.:dizzy:

10. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Park it when not towing and plowing and buy a small car or motorcycle!

11. DeereFarmer

I got 5 to 6 MPG pulling a 14' horse trailer, with only one horse! That was great on that nice 195 mile trip with temps in the high 90s! AHHH!:eek: :dizzy:

12. firelwn82

I have a geo beater 36mpg just hate driving it cause its hideous. Have a motorcycle to 80mpg just to cold not a die hard biker yet. ykes 5mpg What did I get myself into??????

13. DeereFarmer

Rig the Geo up for the trailer... it could do it. You can't kill those things. I used to have a Geo Storm that I beat around with for a week (until the temp. plate ran out:angel: ) and man was that thing kind of fun to drive. It was the only car I have ever driven, but it was fun. Just ugly as can be. I eventually put it in a demo derby... third car out!:angry:

14. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I hear ya... It's just hard to have you cake and eat it too! It will be warm soon and you can get the bike out!

15. firelwn82

heck yea! so I heard today from newsss that gas should be anywhere from 300- 375 most of summer. Thats AwsomE. is there anyone that we can shoot to stop this robbery?

16. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Any mention of anything to do with middle east. The oil company's raise the price. but the OPEC price per barrel is the same. WTF???
    I heard congress is demanding the oil company's to give back some of the record profits to lower the national debt. I want it back in my wallet.

17. firelwn82

you know that would never happen. The government is only there to help themselves and there profits just like the oil co.

18. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

profits

yea everything goes to them and we still pay more taxes and everything goes up but are paychecks what the f@@k is this bull s##t.

19. daninline

daninline Senior Member

what trans do you have in it is ther an overdrive?
    My 95 has a c-6 it's a strong trans but there is no over drive.

just get more air in and out air cleaner, headers and a beter intake, and if you do alot of highway driving you could change the gears if it's worth it.

I save money by driving my diesel most of the time 19mpg.

One tank full from north east CT all the way to PA/OH line 535 miles on 29 gallons.

My 351 truck would have stopped like 4 times with 2 tanks:dizzy:

20. firelwn82

not sure on trans but The intake thing was done last Friday waitig to see the MPG