1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ford 250hd spilt axle

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by mike_09, Dec 28, 2005.

1. mike_09

mike_09 Member
    from Ohio

I have a 1997 same as a 1996 and would like to put a 810 on the front but with it being spilt axles don't know if I should? Shold I add another leaf spring? Terbins? Or what? I don't know why they put spilt axles up front. I have one ton axle in the back atleast they shold of put a stright axle in the front.

2. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

i cant see why not... chevy has all IFS on there trucks and lots of people run Blizzards on there gm's.

3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Mike,

That axle is called a TTB (Twin Traction Beam) and is a weak spot for Fords. The larger of the TTB's which carry a rating of 4600 pounds is fine for what you want to do. However, with any plow you put on it your chanses of burning through U-joints are much more likely and are a real pain in the ars to replace. I have the TTB on my F250 and run a Western 7 1/2 with wings. I have never had an axle issue but have to replace the U-joints every other season now. I say go for it.

4. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

i have heard that you have to change the gear.so that the front matches the back ...what i have been told anyway

5. Plow Meister

The fronts always match the backs. They have to no matter if you have a plow on it or not. THat's what 4WD is all about.

6. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I have seen the housing on a TTB f250 truck break right in two with just a 7 1/2 foot straight on it. The whole front end looks pretty funny when you raise the plow on a TTB truck, looks like the front tires are going to lay right over. I wouldn't run any kind of heavy plow on one of those frontends. Of course, I would never own one anyway, so it isn't a problem for me. But if that's all you got, I'd go with the lightest plow you can find and watch it closely. You're best bet would be to unbolt the front and rear license plates and replace the part in between! ;>

7. Detroitdan

Come to think of it, you can't add another leaf spring if it's TTB. That has radius arms, not leaf springs in the front, right?

8. greenscapes inc

greenscapes inc Member
    from utah

On my 94 I added a leaf and had it aligned, I did that on my 89 as well, like they said earlier if you dont your front tires will angle in with the plow raised. My 94 has a boss 8'2" V and I have not had a problem, with the added leaf it sits perfect with the plow up.

9. Plow Meister

The F150's have a radius arm and coil springs. They have the TTB Dana 44 front end. It serves fine for its purpose.

The F250's have a leaf spring front end (Ford 9F springs) and the TTB Dana 50 front end. The weak point is where the outside of the beam meets the spring perch. This axle tends to crack there. Before I put a plow on my truck the front end has seen almost three feet of air. The landing was rough since there is practically nospring movement allowed but the axle held up just fine. Since I've put a plow on I put a 1/2" spacer to the front spring perch to help level it off. I'm not bragginf but I have accidentally done some pretty crazy stuff with the truck & plow. The front end held up just fine. I have 220,000 miles on it and it's still going strong.

No, it isn't one of Ford's brightest ideas for a front axle but it does work. By no means should you put a 10' plow on it but you can easily hang an 8' Western Pro on it without a problem.

I may just be lucky but I have three Fords with the TTB front end and plows. I have owned many more throughout my 10+ years of plowing and I have never had a problem. There are a few people here that will tell you they have had problems. But think abou tit... There's been a probem with EVERY type of truck in the world from the Isuzu Brat to the Oshkosh to the Hummer. There are limits to every truck. There are good and bad in every truck. I could go up and down about Chevy and the crappy IFS system but for Chevy it works and works well. I could complain about Dodge and their center axle disconnect system. It's a weak point but it works well for Dodge. Get my drift?

10. mike_09

mike_09 Member
    from Ohio

Thanks guys for the review on these axles. I might just put a sno-way 28v on the truck cause of it's light weight and the dp.

thanks

11. Detroitdan

I've never seen a leaf spring front end with TTB. Didn't know they made them that way. The one I was referring to had 8 lug wheels, F250 badges and no front leaf springs, don't remember what year it was. Older. I'm pretty sure anyway it was radius arm, but I could be wrong. I only looked at the broken axle when I was peeking under it, I didn't really look around. Oh well, you learn something new every couple of weeks.

12. Plow Meister

Detroitdan,

That's what I love about this site. YOU learn something new every day:D

Seriously, I love this site. I have been plowing for over 10 years and I still learn new things every time I surf here.

13. pools&plowingct

pools&plowingct Member

i got the dana 50 on my truck if and when it breaks if it ever does. i am already looking for a dana 60 off of an older 350 its a direct bolt on only a few minor changes have to be made

14. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

From 80-86 I think Ford used the ttb set up on 350's as well.

15. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

I would not change axles! I don't know what year your truck is but i did that switch on a 1985 f 250. It fits ok with some minor mods then you find out the springs are made to swivel and the new axle moves all over the place. The cure is a anti sway bar they use on the straight axles it took me forever to find one at a junk yard that would part with it. Then you find out the turning radius increases so much the truck is now just a pita. We turned ours in to a salter. Sorry for the long post but that swtich for us was nothing but troble

16. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

The absolute best fix for the axle is to replace it with the Dana 60 solid front axle. The switch has been done by many, and I don't know a soul who isn't happy with it. Get the sway bar after market if you can't find a stock bar. Hellwig makes one. At the very least I'd add a leaf to your truck. The best option would be to replace the axle drop brackets with a 2-2.5" lift axle drop brackets. Put in F350 springs as well as an extra leaf, and some timbrens. Then put on your seat belt. I did this with my truck, because I had clearance issues with the axle and frame bump stops. New springs, axle drop bracket, almost forgo and F350 rear spring blocks got me about 2 more inches of ride height and got the frame away from the axle. I do have Timbrens and they don't contact even with my snoway on, which is only 600 lbs. I also have 7.3 PSD which doesn't help sag. One more preventive thing you could do is weld a flat piece of 1/4" steel to the underside of the axle on the drivers side of the pumpkin. That is where these axles tend to break when they do.

17. brad welch

brad welch Member

760 speedwings for sale

i have a new 760 speedwings plow left for sale if someone is interested 217-520-7569 for info thanks

18. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping Senior Member

bump for more info