1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford 250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MNC Lawncare, Sep 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MNC Lawncare

MNC Lawncare Junior Member

I bought 89 Ford 250 about a month ago, and it was running great. Now it won't start. When I turn the key there is no clicking sound. All the lights inside come on, so its not the battery. Anybody know what the problem might be?

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

The computer I just had to replace one in my truck. makes no noise but you have power.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

This should be in the Ford truck discussion forum.

It sounds like maybe a bad solenoid,the one on the firewall.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Either what wyldman said or it could be a dirty contact for the exciter wire. Take off that lead and have someone turn to start to check for voltage. Then make sure the contacts are clean if you have voltage. Finally, make sure it hasn't corroded where it mounts to the fender and lost its ground. If all of these check out, then replace the solenoid.

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I had another thought....

If the truck is an automatic, try wiggling the shift lever while turning the key. You might get better results by shifting to neutral and wiggling it, just be careful you don't start the truck in gear. I once had the neutral lockout switch come loose and get misaligned and caused the same problem you describe. They also get worn out too. Easy to replace, 2 bolts and plug into the harness.

6. jakegypsum

jakegypsum Senior Member

I agree with Pelican. My 89' F-150 had the same problem and it was the neutral lockout switch on the linkage side of the trans. Ford has an updated replacement. Good luck. Jake.

7. MNC Lawncare

MNC Lawncare Junior Member

Thanks guys for all your suggestions. I will be checking all the possibilities out tommarrow. Someone else told me it may be the neutral lockout switch. I'll let you know how it turns out. Wish me luck.

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

You can use a small screwdriver to short the small stud on the solenoid to the battery stud on the solenoid.If the truck starts,then it's the ignition switch,neutral safety switch,or wiring.If it doesn't,then it's battery,cable,solenoid or starter.It's a good place to start,to point you in the right direction.

It also might just get you started so you can drive the truck.

9. beherit316

beherit316 Banned

Could be the starter.Lightly tap on it with a hammer.The starter is usaully located on the passenger side beneath the engine.I had similar problem earlier last year , I had to get a new starter.

10. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

yea and break the field magnets on what could be a still good starter:rolleyes: starters are cheap and they are easy to get out on a 302-351-460 shouldnt be much more then $30 to replace if bad and an hour worth of time

11. beherit316

beherit316 Banned

If a starter starts to fail it is said and known that if you take a hammer and "LIGHTLY" tap on it, it is possible to get it to work.And I did say "LIGHTLY" in my first post.I had probably around 7 incidents where this trick worked in older cars and trucks I have owned in the past and tapping on it with a hammer got it to work.Note it will not fix it but it will get it to start and get your vehicle back home or to your nearest mechanic if all else fails.

Obviously you never heard or have tried this method to see if it works.This technique is popular with mechanics so if they have tried it obviously they have faith in the idea.

12. Big Nate's Plowing

um, yea I have tried it, didnt work and it broke tha magnets on a good starter. the solenoid was at fault and instead of buying a $4.99 part I ended up paying $26 for a new starter too. 2/3 of all starter cores that come into the parts store my buddy manages have the field magnets broke from people banging on the case. nobody around here will give a core charge back if the magnets are broke.

13. beherit316

beherit316 Banned

Well thats why you have to LIGHTLY TAP ON IT.I was suggesting this to solve an immediate problem so that one is able to get their truck to the nearest service station.I never cracked any magnets on my starters and I have tried this method many many of times.

14. beherit316

beherit316 Banned

$26.00 for a new starter???Where the hell can one find a new starter for $26.00???Rebuilt's usaully start around well over $100.00 depending on the vehicle.I find it hard to belive that you were able to purchase a new starter for $26.00.Or did you mean $260.00 and forget to add a zero?

15. Big Nate's Plowing

didnt forget the 0 you can get a reman valuecraft @ autozone for $26.99 and that had started my bronco for the 5 years that Brian owned it plus all of last season, a NEW reman was $26.99 :nod:
    want more proof? it is below

starterproof.gif

16. beherit316

beherit316 Banned

HMMMMMM interesting, that is one hell of a deal for a starter.Then again a newer truck starter could be more expensive vs one for a 78? Well I never usaually get upset when something of mine needs replacing, unless if it is in the thousands of dollars.I have a higher threshold in spending money then most people.Only thing that gets on my nerves is something that constantly breaks down and is in need of constant repair.

Another thing, I buy geniune parts for my vehicle never generic, thats why it is alot more in some cases.I tend to stay geniune when it comes for replacment parts for a vehicle.

17. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

The starter for my truck is around $300. I think I paid around $30 for a solenoid. I've always had faith in the hammer trick as well. Its what my dad always told me to do, and it has gotten me home a few times.

18. beherit316

beherit316 Banned

Those starters you see for $26.00 are cheap anyways,Nate was fortunate to get 5 years out of his.I would never pay $26.00 for a starter now that I think of it.I always by genuine ford parts, money is no issue with me.Yes tapping on the starter does get it to work it has also helped me out many of times.

The way I see it, if you settle for cheap parts for your vehicle you get what you pay for.I always stick to genuine no matter what.The only exception would be car audio, all stock car audio componets are garbage.We got the premium sound system in our Mustang, the option was like $1500.00, I got it for no charge because I said I didnt want it.Ford didnt want to spend the time taking it out so gave it to us for next to nothing.

That is the first thing I do when I get a new vehicle, replace the stereo and speakers.

Yeah you have to be careful about buying some of these sfter market parts for your vehicle, some of them could has foriegn parts and in most cases they are'nt built very well.There is a reason why Ford recommmends using genuine Ford parts, because they work and are reliable.

19. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

It doesn't have anything to do with the Ford name and blue oval on it. That is what adds money. Most "replaceable parts" are made by third parties and then labeled. Take steering parts. Moog makes almost everything. Big automakers by them, relabel and sell at the dealer for a premium. Go to a parts store and by the moog labeled part and most often you save a lot of money.

20. Big Nate's Plowing

lol a "Genuine Ford" starter for my truck is $84 LOL. I really feel sorry for the suckers that pay bookoo bucks for a truck then have something break and pay 5 times as much as I do. I am going to replace all u-joints, ball joints, and tie rod ends on tuesday so the front end is as tight as can be and it is only costing me.....$175 in parts. all brand name stuff too spicer joints moog tie rod ends & spicer ball joints.

Oh and every reman starter I have seen had the ford logo and the big M on it:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.