1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford 250 PSD CrewCab Snow Plow???

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by royallandscaper1, Jul 11, 2003.

1. royallandscaper1

royallandscaper1 Junior Member

Hello everyone, I'm new to this board and was wondering if someone can help me with some information. I'm currently looking at purchasing a 2003 Ford F-250 CrewCab with the PSD engine, short bed. Does anyone know if anyone makes a plow for this vehicle or if one can be installed on it at all? Ford says a snowplow prep group is not avaliable and Meyer says they won't put one on but Fisher says no problem and I'm wondering what others have experienced. My plan was to upgrade the front springs from the "V" springs on the truck to the "x" springs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Welcome aboard Rodney. Most likely the reason that a plow is not recomended is due to the fact that the PSD engine is a heavy piece of iron which puts a large amount of added weight onto an already long and heavy crew cab front end. Many people do go against the recomendations of the manufacturer and plow with them though. Up in the right hand corner of the screen is a search button. In the case of this question id say your best bet is to do some research using that since this topic has come up quite a few times before im pretty sure if i remember correctly. Also you may want to do some research on one of the Diesel forums and see whats being said in that neck of the woods.

Enjoy Plowsite

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Well you can due it but you will void your waranty if it is on there.This has been asked before go to this site http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/

Bobby Williams is a dealer in CA. and he should be able to tell you what the honest info is on it. He's a memeber and his dealership is sunrise ford.
  4. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Yes..................you can do it!

I own a 2002 F-350 XLT Lariat Crew Cab long bed w/PSD and installed a 8.5 Meyer Poly Plow w/ 1 ton mounting kit (heavy duty truck side kit normally used w/cab chassis........ as I was told). Also upgraded to X front spring plus 1 more additional leaf (now the ride height is to my liking) Nice firm ride, the way a truck should be!

The truck is a fantastic plow truck especially with all "the comforts of home".

On a side note, I own a 02 Excursion with the 7.3 diesel ( same plow, mount as above).

We deal with a large Commercial Ford dealer in Illinois (BOTH VEHICLES WERE NOT BOUGHT THERE), they cover warranty issues with plows installed. Just be sure to let the same Ford dealer service your truck routinely so they could have on-going record of the condition of the truck and you can establish a good relationship that will surely help you out when you are in a pinch!

Good Luck!

my truck #1- web ready.jpg
  5. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Thats very interesting about the heavy duty truckside mount,I was never aware of that,learn something new everday:p
  6. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

ChicagoSnow>nice truck.How do you like the meyers poly blades?I run mostly all meyers plows but all steel blades.
  7. ChicagoSnow

Hello Philly,

I have no complaints with the "CP" line of COMMERCIAL Meyer poly blades. They are heavy which is why (I assume) with all the additional bracing/support they hold up so well.

They have held up fine and especially nice that you do not have to paint every couple years!

I currently own 5 poly (8'-8.5') Meyer blades, and 1 steel blade. I have tried to remain true to 1 plow manufacturer so I can "cross" use any blade with any vehicle in case of emergency. But I must say that with all the talk on this site my next plow will be a Blizzard (wish they made a poly version) or a poly "V" plow(not completely sold yet on a particular manufacturer yet).

8. phillyplowking1

ChicagoSnow thanks for the reply.Im the same way about sticking with the same type of plows,with the meyers I have alot of parts so I can fix the problem quickly.Im looking at a meyers poly for a pickup im am looking at.
  9. ChicagoSnow

Good luck plow hunting......................It's fun isnt it!

If I can be of any help let me know.

10. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

For your truck i would go with a 9ft Fisher, Western, Ortiz, or Boss good luck on finding a plow:)
  11. phillyplowking1

Meyer whats a Ortiz plow?
  12. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Ortis is a snowplow that is made in the area i live. They are kinda like Western plows. They are the color red, Full trip plow, conventional mount. they are made in a local welding shop and they are very popular. I see more Ortiz than Meyer and Western. :)
  13. SatZ28

SatZ28 Member

On Sunday, I saw a brand new 03 F250 X-cab with the 6.0 PSD, which had the factory snow plow prep package. So if this truck has the 6.0, there should not be any questions.
  14. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

From what I understand, it is a liability issue. Between the research I've done and the info on this site, there's no reason a CREW cab can't carry a blade and still stay within ford's recommended axle weight ratings- especially if some ballast is used. The crew cab weighs more than a supercab, and carries more people (practically), so it is no wonder that super cabs are available with prep packages. I think it has to be based on the possibility that someone might have six people in their truck with the plow on. If that were the case, the combination of people weight, plow weight, AND big cab weight might exceed the factory front axle weight rating. Not to mention, it seems (confirm w/Pelican) that the front end is the same on a 350 as it is on a 550, which makes the 350 underrated at 5200#. Mine has 6000# springs from the fact, but it's still only rated at 5200#- go figure.

Long and short- I don't think the :gunsfiring: lawyers will let you buy the snow plow insurance... uh- prep package because if you carry a plow and too many people and something breaks you'd have a crack at a law suit.

Maybe this rant will put my mind at ease about hanging a plow on my new F-350 Crew Cab Diesel...

BTW- I don't know about you guys, but I'm lucky to get my dog to ride with me in the plow truck!
  15. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Ez snow,the front end is rated at 5200 for a reason. The 19.5" wheels of the larger 450/550 allow larger brakes,which can safely stop more weight,also 6000 on the 16" tires is getting near the weight limit,this may have something to do with it too.With that being said,Id still plow with it if it were mine too.In the snow the brakes will make little difference,traction will be the weak link,and the tires should run cool in the wet conditions and slow speeds.
  16. Manx

Manx Senior Member

On the crew cab with the Diesel
    The reason the plow pkg. isn't available
    Is not that it can't carry the weight
    It's that with the Plow on the front and the recommend ballast
    the truck would be over the GVWR, them Deisel are heavy

I've heard someone else tell me it was because you might plow
    with 6 people ? It's not true

You can check the Ford spec
    Plow pkg is available with the V8/V10 crew cab with 6' and 8' beds

(For a western 8' ploy pro on my F250 super cab Western recommends 550 of ballast)
  17. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

so basically, a crew diesel with a plow is pushing it, but hey- we make our livin' pushing stuff, right? Why not push the limit, too?

IF the 5200 limit is based on brakes and tires, and both concerns are generally reduced by the conditions surounding our profession... LET'S GO!!

Good tidbits on the brakes and tires, John- that's the first I've seen that reasoning for the front axle WR. Thanks for your input.
  18. Manx

Manx Senior Member

The Front Max. rating is based on Springs
    the Max. front spring (Not includeing the Plow pkg. "X" springs)
    is 5200)
    Now on the F450/F550 the only spring is rated at 6000
    (It's the "X" spring)

The 16" tires are Ok for the rear end to have a rating of
    6084 lbs for the F250 and 6830 lbs for the F350
    So the 16" tires aren't the limting factor in the front

(here the difference is that the F250 has 235 tires rated at
    3042 lbs and the F350 has 265's rated at 3415 lbs)
    So in the Rear it's the tires that are the limting factor

While the 19.5 rims/tires do play a roll in the weight rateing
    It's in the rear on the F450/F550
  19. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

based on the information providedhere and granted that a 2003 spring is the same as a 2001 spring, then with a thickness of 1.25", my truck has "x" springs rated at 6000#... please correct me if I'm wrong.

Manx, Good logic on how the front tires cannot be the limiting factor, since they can carry 6k and change in the back.

Here's what frustrates me: If the F-550's are the same as my 350 hub-to-hub (not incl brakes) and I have 6k front springs, WHY IS MY FAWR ONLY 5200#?!??!?!

Does a reg cab plow prep truck have a 6k sticker?
  20. wyldman

wyldman Member

BRAKES and SAFETY.It all about the brakes.You could have a 5 ton front axle and springs,but it is only rated as high as the max GVWR brake system it has on it.

The 19.5" wheels allow Ford to use bigger brakes,that would not fit behind the 16" wheels.The 16" wheels\tires would probably support the 6000 lb FAWR,but not without the larger brakes.So that's why you have a 5200 lb FAWR.

If you have,or upgraded to the X springs,you still only have a 5200 lb FAWR.If the DOT catches you,your overloaded if your even a hair over 5200 lbs,or over the GWVR,which is pretty easy to do,with a long diesel 4X4,a heavy plow,and ballast.Not that the truck won't do it,you just won't be legal.