1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

? for wyldman

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by VictoryRedK1500, Sep 7, 2003.

1. VictoryRedK1500

VictoryRedK1500 Member

wyldman,
    I have been browsing on this site for quite a while now, and you are very valuable here for your technical knowledge. I have a question for you about my truck's transmission. My truck has the NV3500 manual trans with the 4.3 V6. I don't plow with the truck, but I do pull a 6.5x10 open trailer with a 48" Toro Walkbehind, push mower, weedeater and blower. Occasionall, I will take on a mulch job as well. In the past, I've heard a few negative things about the NV3500 being a bit weak, but I have also heard it is pretty durable. I was wondering what your thoughts were on this transmission and what I should do to prolong its life. Should I drain the factory fluid and go with synthetic? I don't pull in 5th gear unless I am out on open, flat ground. Any thoughts you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

I haven't seen many problems with those trannies,just with the clutches,and the clutch hydraulic system.

I'd just keep driving it,and don't worry.Follow the mfg recommended maintenance schedule,and you'll be fine.You need a special oil for that tranny,only available from Chrysler,or GM.You can also get it from Castrol,the OEM mfg.It's called Castrol Syntorq ( NOT SYNTECH,its different).It's not cheap either.Don't use anything else,or you'll ruin the tranny.

Sorry it took so long to reply,I must have missed it,it didn't show up in the "read new posts".

3. VictoryRedK1500

VictoryRedK1500 Member

wyldman,
    No problem at all. Thanks for the reply. I have heard that the clutches were not very strong in these 1/2 ton trucks. Some I've heard that have had to replace their clutches, go with a heavier duty replacement clutch kit. Since this truck was new it has had a bit of a clutch shudder on take-off. It does it as I am letting off of the clutch pedal, before I have it totally released. Sometimes it will shudder pretty good on a damp morning on the first couple of take offs, but that isn't too often. The dealer told me he felt the slight shudder, and said that it was basically a characteristic of that particular clutch/transmission. He said it isn't severe enough for me to do anything about it. That is typical BS from the dealer. I guess I can live with it, some days it doesn't do it at all. I will check into that Syntorq trans fluid when it comes time to change it. Thanks for the advice!

4. VictoryRedK1500

VictoryRedK1500 Member

here is a pic i took of my truck last week.

camera picture 6.jpg

5. VictoryRedK1500

VictoryRedK1500 Member

truck and trailer

camera picture 16.jpg

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Your clutch shudder is probably from broken or weak hub damper springs.Pretty much every one of those cutches I have changed have a least one broken spring,and the others are all weak.

Nice looking truck BTW. :)

7. VictoryRedK1500

VictoryRedK1500 Member

Thanks for the additional advice and the compliment on my truck, wyldman. I appreciate it a lot!

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

No problem. :D

9. Showkilr

Showkilr Junior Member

there is a 11 and a 11 7/8" clutch kits available there from the 350 and can be bolted to the flywheel as long as you have the 168 tooth flywheel. if you have the 152 tooth flywheel not shure they will fit... when I had my 4.3 in my 92 C1500 it had the 168 flywheel on it.. i kept going trough clutches till i swaped to the one for the 454. from the pics your truck looks like one of the 95+ and I'm not positive what flywheel they placed on the vortec v6.

Showkilr