1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

For us sidewalk guys!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JMHConstruction, Sep 7, 2015.

1. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys,
    Been reading through a ton of different topics and threads and noticed its pretty hard to find too many talking about those of us who only do, or mainly do sidewalks or residential using blowers or shovesl. I thought I'd start one and see how it goes. I know the site is called "plowsite" but I know there are at least a few who don't have all the heavy equipment.

Please feel free to post pictures of your set up, talk about your storm, talk about your crew, or ask questions. Doesn't matter if you're new to business or have been doing it for decades, please feel free to comment. I know I had some stupid questions on here when I started about 5 years ago, so please, be kind to everyoneThumbs Up.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I have to admit I don't own a shovel, I think that's the worst tool ever invented.

With that being said, I think our side walk crews are the unsong hero's of every event. I wish more spoke English and would wear their safety vest out their jackets more often.

3. JMHConstruction

The safety vests are a good point! I feel like me and my guys are the only ones I see wearing them. Although it's like pulling teeth, I make them wear those and I have head lamps for when it's dark, even if street lights have the property lit up.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Instead of the vests, how about hi viz jackets, or pants. I personally wouldn't wear the vests, but I would wear a jacket or pants or bibs with retro reflective sewn in.

5. 1olddogtwo

Two years ago Jan, in a major event during "polar vortex". We had got like two feet of new snow and heavy winds over a weekend. While I was opening up and maintaining the front of this manufacturing facility, a second sidewalk crew showed up and was working on the office side of the property, one off the guys take off on his own with a snow blower to make paths from the fire exits to the fire lane. This fire lanes wraps around the building with plenty of in's and out's. Got to be 1 and half long. It's a 40 acre facility with the building in the middle..... they get 10 foot drifts pretty easily....anyways, this guy is trucking down the road hitting the exits with a snow blower in white out conditions thru a foot+ of snow.

OK, I've seen they have showed up and I start hitting the fire lane for them. I've past the truck its 1/8 to the west, I'm plowing north about a quarter mile and I see what appears to be snow going up and to the left, I'm angled right. I hit the brakes and slide stop....I jump out of the truck and this guy is picking himself up. The snow took out his legs, he was holding/using my mouldboard to pick him self up.

If I didn't see the snow being shot up, I would hit this guy and kept going. He was wearing a black snow suit covered in snow. He was the perfectly camouflaged from the snow being wind whipped and had no business being there alone. His saftey vest was over his jacket but under his suit.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  6. 1olddogtwo

7. JMHConstruction

I think I may print that and give it to each guy with their vest this year. Most of my guys have either worked snow with me in the past or at least with someone else, but being on the sidewalks they don't see any danger. I had a guy slip last year and fell out into the lot. Granted the plows hadn't been to the property yet, but who knows what could happen at the wrong times. Guys make your employees wear em and lead by example. Thanks for bring up the reflectors!

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A waring for the first time ya catch them not wearing their PPD.

Are you going to pay the fine for them also,
    I guess you will have to.
    http://www.orosha.org/pdf/pubs/fact_sheets/fs42.pdf

You don't get out of the truck without it visible .
    Canada has a $50 fine in place also.

9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Doesn't say that on parking lots it's "mandatory"

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:I would think :laughing:using the plow to get up off of the ground would be in proximity to traffic.
    And a sidewalk could be found next to traffic too?

From Osha.
    CLASS II GARMENTS are intended for use in activities where greater visibility is necessary during inclement weather conditions or in work environments with risks that exceed those for Class 1. Garments in this class also cover workers who perform tasks that divert their attention from approaching traffic, or that put them in close proximity to passing vehicles traveling at 25 miles per hour to 50 miles per hour. Examples of workers who use Class 2 apparel include: • Forestry operations • High-volume parking and/or toll gate personnel • Ship cargo loading operations • Airport baggage handlers/ground crew • Roadway construction, utility and railway workers • Emergency response and law enforcement personnel • Survey crews • Trash collection and recycling operations • School crossing guards • Accident site investigators • Delivery vehicle drivers • Railroad inspection and maintenance crews

Under the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970, employers are responsible for providing safe and healthful workplaces for their employees. OSHA's role is to assure these conditions for America's working men and women by setting and enforcing standards, and providing training, education and assistance. For more

https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=NEWS_RELEASES&p_id=17196

Or you can make it a company policy, no vest no job...

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  11. 1olddogtwo

12. JMHConstruction

I kind of (or at least have brainwashed myself) enjoy doing sidewalks. I end up making about what most subs with plows make because of my smaller overhead and fewer, less expensive break downs. Plus I'm not stuck in a truck all day. I'd love the heat but other than that I enjoy stretching my legs (maybe because I'm under 30 and stupid).

With that said I've gone from just me and a shovel, to a few guys and shovels, to blowers and shovels, and this year am picking up a bunch of Snow Graders and some 4' shovels. At what point do you guys upgrade your equipment? I was thinking about getting the extra income this year and maybe getting a quad for next year. I only do subcontract work. The better shovels are more so I don't have to keep buying cheap ones, but is it worth the investment of about what I make in a season to get a quad for years to come?

13. f150skidoo

f150skidoo Member

I was on a sidewalk crew last year and i said to myself that it was the last year I'm operating a shovel. So i bought myself a skid steer with a Horst Snow Wing for this year. But when I was shoveling I always wore a hi-vise jacket.