1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

For those with websites, do they work well for you?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by PlowOrDie, Nov 2, 2007.

1. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

Just wondering if everyone who owns a website for their snow removal business values it as a successfull tool...

also, those of you who DO have websites, did you make your own, or did you pay someone?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I have one. Paid someone to do it.It's part of your advertising plan. For people who look at it, can decide if they are in my area of work then will can,stops some of the tire kickers.
  3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

paid someone. Only an amatuer thinks they can build a pro website. It wasn't that much money and it was worth every penny.
    Answers lots of people's questions.
    Gives info, and gets you contacts for basically free once it's up and running.

people search on the web a lot, if you aren't there, you can't be found. I know I don't look at the yellow pages for anything, but I do know I google almost anything.
  4. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

That was an ignorant statement.....BrianH

I guess I'm an amateur. ...I built my own. Is it basic?...... yes, Is it effective?......... yes............ cost me $12 buck a month.....works great, I get all the calls I want, eliminates the window shopping and explains my service and co. with out wasting my time.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  5. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I would think Pros would think they could build a Pro web site also. Billions of web pages are built by amateurs and 80% look great.

I build and maintain my own. Cost me $7 a month to host it.

After meeting people, I refer them to my web page for examples of my work. I also get hits from the yellow page ad that lists my web page address. And I get hits from people searching Google.

The best thing it does is eliminates the people that can't afford my service, even though I don't put prices on it. It also tell people what I do and don't do. Then if someone is interested, they email or call.

As an example, my snow plowing page is probably 6 or 7 sheets of normal paper. There is now way I could print that and use it as a flyer to stick in a newspaper box. It allows me to say EVERYTHING I can possibly think of instead of limiting it to a single sheet of paper.
  6. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

Yes, that IS a pretty ignorant statement. Only an amateur thinks that an amateur thinks they can build their own website.
  7. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

huh? :dizzy:
    I'm confused, why is that an ignorant statement?

compare a pro website to 99.9% of the amatuer websites out there, what exactly are you trying to get across?
    if you just want to be on the web, sure, anyone can do that.
    If you want the web to be part of your entire marketing domain, then no, that takes marketing expertise. It's not the coding that's hard, anybody can write bad code. It's making it look a part of a whole campaign that's not so easy.

and it's a one time cost, it's done, pretty much for years, I think my site cost less than $1500 bucks to build (total, registering the domain name, contact me page, maps, etc) and you figure over 5 years of minimal upkeep, that's $300 a year. BFD. It would have taken me a lot longer than 3 to 6 hours to do it, why shouldn't I pay someone to do it and make it a part of my entire marketing campaign.
  8. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Im not sold on websites for snow removal or lawn care for that matter. A tool? sure. Tool amongst many.

I'll probably have one someday, but Im not losing sleep waiting to get one thinking I am losing business because I dont have one.

And I agree. Id pay to have one made. Im sure I could make one but I can easily spot the difference between self made and professionally made. That and lousy slow hosting services.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I own a computer store.. one thing about our website www.midtownpc.ca is that if we have prices on too much stuff we never get people calling to talk to us or come in cause they just go oh click click he is too much, next. When really we just forgot to update the price.

Now as for snow lawn and other services, I think it would be a good idea.
    Especially pictures... people love seeing your work, examples, referals and the best is testimonials. something like "we have been dealing with ABC snowplowing for 15 years, alway able to get to work, the driveway is always plowed"

I would think it could help if you had the yellow page ad basic and said check out our website... that way you could say all the things and show all the things you do easily.

I think the yellow pages is great and the website will add to picking up those extra customers that couldnt decide. That secretary that has to get 3 quotes, looks in the yellow pages, then goes online sees the professionalism and then calls for the quote.
  10. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I have a lot of hours in mine, but I enjoy doing it. I do a new job, I up-load and post the new pics. Doesn't cost me a thing.

There is nothing wrong with having someone set up your page. If I thought there was then it would be wrong for me to plow or mow for someone when they can do it themselves. But I have seen some pretty crappy professional pages.

For me the cost out weighs the convenience. $1500 to set up is fine, but what if you want to change something. There is additional cost for that.

I don't have an online store or fancy graphics. I just tell about my business. It answers questions and hopefully shows that I'm a professional landscaper (that did a pretty good job with his site.)

I have a double business card size ad in the Yellow Pages. Thinking of dropping that to a single business card size with Logo, Name, Phone, and Web Page next year.