1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

For Those Who Want To Plow Now

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Oct 12, 2001.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Just a heads up for all you guys that want to plow today.

Remember when changing your plows oil, you are best to wait right before the start of your season. The temperature changes in the fall, cause water to build in the plows oil, yes even fresh oil. This water equals ice down the road.

On our first electric pump, we changed the oil in august. The truck was in the shop, seamed like a good time to do it. We plowed the first storm, parked the truck at the end, went to move it the next day. Temp changed 20 degrees over night, plow wouldn't move, all iced up. So now we change out pump oil starting around November 1. Most years we don't plow before the 15, so this works well for us. However we do all our other maintmance, prior to the oil change.

This type of ice build up, is common on plow pumps that use a different type of oil. Regular hydro fluid used in my big trucks, and ATF used in the older Fisher piumps, and some pumps found on some plows today, doesn't seam to ice up.

2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the tip Geoff... I was thinking about changing mine tomorrow, but now I think I'll wait another week or two. We're still getting into the 60's, with lows in the 40's or upper 30's at night... so I've got time.

3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

With your mechanical skills, and only having one plow to service. I would wait till atleast after Novemeber 1st. Ya never know if some warm weather will roll in, even in late October. I know it is hard to wait, on your plow. However if it makes ya feel any better we don't install head gears on trucks till after Novemeber 1st.

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I like to have one truck ready which I do now. I will probably change the fluid again but because we are going to start fall cleanups it is nice to know that one plow and sander are all set to go. The rest will be up by the 15 of Nov.
  5. Camaro SS Mike

Camaro SS Mike Junior Member
    from NJ

hey guys, im new here, whats involved in changing the fluid? my brother has a 92 chevy 1500 4x4 with a western 7 1/2ft uni mount pro plow which he bought new back in 92. the truck and plow has been great to us, but your not gonna believe what im gonna say next, we never ever changed the plow fluid even once! is there a drain plug on the pump and a refill? i never really took notice. do you have to bleed it or anything like u do brakes? advice would be appreciated!! Mike
  6. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the tip Geoff - I'll wait a couple more weeks before changing the fluid in mine.

Mike - I run a different power pack than yours (Monarch) so I can't answer your question about drain/fill plugs. If the plow was bought new, is there any chance the manual might still be around?

As far as "bleeding" goes, the instructions that came with mine don't make mention of it. There is a section on there called "To Activate System":

a] Raise blade approximately 6" off floor
    b] Jog angling button alternately side to side moving the blade slightly farther each time. Do not angle blade fully on first attempt.
    c] Once the full swing of the blade has finally been accomplished, bring blade back to centre and lower.
    d] Collapse lift cylinder fully and refill pump.
  7. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Yes, it is possible to bleed angle cylinders. Mainly to get out any air. Changing the fluid in them, I have outlined on my site.
    To bleed air out of the angle cylinders, you basically loosen one of the elbows on a cylinder until it leaks fluid. Put a rag over the elbow, and angle the plow to the same side as the loosened elbow. Tighten that fitting, loosen the other elbow, put the rag on it, angle the plow to that side, tighten the elbow. This should force out any air. I don't know anyone personally who had to do this to get air out, including myself, but it is the "procedure".

And what Geoff is talking about, is that many plow fluids contain "anti-icer" or "anti-icing agents", formulas, etc. Basically that means there is some type of alcohol in the fluid. Most hydraulic system reserviors are vented. That means that the alcohol in the fluid will absorb moisture from the air, like it normally does. I think this is why moisture is not usually a problem with ATF, or a fluid without de-icer in it.