1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

For those that plow and sand - ?s

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jvm81, Dec 2, 2007.

1. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I am getting a sander - which one I am not sure yet - ideas or suggestions wold be great.

I have 4 trucks with plows on them now. Do any of you guys have your sander on the truck along with plow or do you have a deciated truck for each service?

Only truck without sander is my personal truck but the sidewalk boys use that with a trailer for blowers, shovels, and ice melt. And it is a 4 door short bed truck.

2. all seasons

all seasons Member

plows and v-box on all the trucks, this way I can set plow routes by area and keep them tight, not by specific job which may have trucks overlapping and wasting time.

3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

dedicated salt trucks. we run a big, close route, so were not really waisting time. the 2(one untill next week) salt trucks are 2x4 and plow trucks 4x4 you wanted recomendations on a salt truck?? i recentally got a 1990 ford f 800 (short wheel base) that was plummed for a 5-6 yard ss swenson i had. that's what i would get. try and stay away from the 1 ton light duty pickups and go with a medium-heavy duty truck. you'll get twice the truck at half the cost, and spend 1/3 of the time loading up the spreader.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  4. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

So if the spreader is on the truck with plow, do you guys feel you have less visibility? I seem to look out the back window alot and even put tailgate down on the truck to see better.

5. ppease

ppease Member
    from Maine

I have a new Fisher Polycaster. It has worked well so far. I keep about a 1/3 yard on for ballast when plowing, and to hit the occasional steep drive when I leave. Then I load the sander when done plowing to do my commercials. Too much weight on when plowing is hard on the truck, and a good way to break stuff.

6. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Downeaster - SS control plugs into your cigar lighter. I have it on my plow truck I like the extra weight for traction and visibility is good.