1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

For those that offer shoveling services...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Up North, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Up North

Up North Senior Member

2. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

Not to bash you or the article but it does not say what actually caused his death other than not being able to breath. I'm not sure what that has to do with shoveling but im sure if you are not in great shape things can happen. Our guys usually blow out there back which isnt good cause then i loose a driver to go shovel. but like you said you have to be careful
  3. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I assume it's going to take a few weeks to get results from an autopsy. I'm assuming, just assuming, that shoveling for 3 hours or whatever it was, had something to contribute to his death. As for what kind of shape he was in, don't know as the article doesn't say. But I guess my whole point in posting it was just a heads up to the guys out there that offer shoveling as a part of their service. Whether it's a back here, or a knee there, or someone's life, maybe they'll think back to hearing about the young 17-18 year old kid that died while shoveling and be a bit more cautious.

4. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Thats a shame.

Its also a shame that the kid was a hundred plus pounds overweight and probably spent most of his free time gaming on a computer and eating ding dongs.

That poor kid was clinically obese and had no business out shovelling snow by hand at 3:30 in the morning, let alone sitting at the computer at 3:30 in the afternoon playing video games.
  5. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

Did you look at the article?? The boy in the picture looked like he my have had a slight weight problem???
  6. Journier

Journier Junior Member

yea... that kid was fairly overweight.

I quote
    "He had been to a doctor but they did not find out anything. ... They had called it an allergic reaction."

cmon now, an allergic reaction that happens when hes working, and breathing hard? When his body is used to just regular breathing.... with no real strain put on the lungs, they dont work so good when you end up using them alot.

Just a case of over exertion,

but I aint no doctor maybe he died of an allergic reaction, im not the one doing the autopsy.
  7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Hmm, sounds to me like the fat kid had a case of Asthma that was untreated or un diagnosed. "Marlene Beeney said that her grandson had sometimes had breathing difficulties that seemed to be brought on by exertion" Classic symptom-
    Or a heart attack....

"They had called it an allergic reaction." Yeah, to work!
  8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Thats a shame,it really is.We do a little bit of shoveling now for our residential customers, mostly sidewalks and steps for the mailman.But you really do need to be careful.
  9. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

When it's your turn, it's your turn! You can't beat the Reaper...:angel:
  10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Agreed. I'm overweight and asthmatic too, but sure don't look like that. LOL.

I feel bad, not just for the kid, but if you read it all he was helping his sister's fiance's company--now the pair of them have to deal with this forever too. Could well split them up, depending on who asked who to do it.
  11. Up North

Up North Senior Member

They didn't have a picture posted in the article when I read it. But I did see a pic on the news last night and yeah, he was definitely overweight. But again, I posted this just as a caution to others, you don't have to be overweight or old to have a stroke, heart attack, or whatever. Shoveling is a strenuous task no matter how you look at it. Maybe that's why we have plows vs. shovels?? Anyway, they think he died from overexertion & overheating. To bad no matter how it happened.

12. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

This is why I have a Toro S200 snowthrower. Its small, nothing fancy, its used and cheap to own/maintain. But most of all it saves me from the almight shovel. I have some extra padding but not really obese, but I do have asthma and I don't have much trouble with it except over exertion in the cold winter air. The other day I stopped and helped a lady and her two daughters push their Envoy a block and a half to a gas station (she was tryin to make it "Good to the last drop" I guess) and that wore me out... hour later I was still weezing to beat the band. But I felt good doing a good deed and knowing the ladies appreciated it made it worth while :)

But, shoveling is one thing if I can prevent it will save me much asthma attacks. The Toro isn't a monster productivity machine, it doesn't have to be. It does great for snows we get around here and still a bit faster than a shovel, most of all even if it were the same speed it still saves me alot of health discomforts and asthma attacks. Oh my back ain't the greatest either.

Gotta protect your employees too.......

Thats a bad deal though regardless his condition or problem, that familiy will always have bad feelings now even if they hide it good there will be issues forever and that really sucks. I hope things work out for them :) Who knows the kid must have been OK to help out a brother in law to be, in those conditions when he knew he had asthma. Let me tell you guys I known plenty of good kids with asthma who would work their butt off but you can't stop an asthma attack and sometimes us asthmatics ignore it and try to work through it to look tough... his asthma may have been a worse case than some, making it hard to work much even in better conditions, and that may have been part of why he was overweight. Its hard to say without knowing the kid and there is a such thing as drawing the line too and he probably crossed it overeating and not doing much, I couldn't see a picture, but point is, some people don't have a labor friendly health status. Like I said maybe he was lazy but it has asthma written all over it. Some asthmatics can work in summer no problem (like me) others can't do much at all anytime of the year (maybe that was him). He probably had good intentions to get out and help the guy even when he knew he'd suffer from it (and if he was known to have this condition then let me tell you, he KNEW in advance that he would be hurtin from doing this shoveling..)

So I ain't sayin anyone's wrong here cuz ya'll could be right could be a lazy worthless dog but keep an open mind here and try to be a little considerate.

Thanks for reading
  13. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks for the article Up North. I believe he was just giving us all a warning guys. No matter what you weigh,or your age, or how long you have been doing this you need to heed any warning signs. If you are out of breath or your chest hurts stop what you are doing.