1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

For those of you who have had torsion bars adjusted at the dealer....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Nov 1, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

I had my truck (2002 2500HD) in to have torsion bars adjusted and truck aligned (for snowplow use) a couple weeks ago because I had heard that a dealer will do it for free.....WRONG! I was charged $83.63 for an alignment and supplies. The service manager told me that Chevrolet doesn't cover an alignment when related to installing a snowplow. I informed him the truck was designed to plow snow and has the plow prep package, no luck. I even called Chevrolet, they told me the same thing.

Who has had their torsion bars adjusted and truck aligned at the dealer for snow plow use? Were you charged? The service manager offerd to split the cost with me. Should I fight this or just take his offer and move on?

Thanks to all,

Joel B.
  2. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Take it and move on. The proper way to do it would be to tell the dealer the truck does not sit leval side to side. They will adjust it and have to do an alignment. There is a TSB I think about some trucks that sit uneven side to side.
  3. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

well i just bought a new truck on monday and they set everything up for the plow for free.the plow prep just has stiffer springs and bushings .not a big deal.use to work for a ford dealer never setup someones truck for free unless it was new.
  4. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

I have always taken my trucks to a heavy truck alignment shop to have my torsion bars raised and truck realigned, every time the dealer has done them for me they have not raised them enough or too much, so the guy we bring them to now does them right the first time . I also think what the dealer charged you was a pretty good price. We have been paying around $125.00 per truck. Just my two cents
  5. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

To late now but

all you needed to do was have the plow put on by the dealer & then they cover it. Or do as I did, put the plow on the truck & then took it in a month later & they did it for free (up to the first7500 miles). ;) I told them it was pulling to the right.

I was very happy they didn't have to knock out the factory bushings as then it seems the front end is always easier to get knocked out of alignment with the adjustable ones when plowing .
  6. Foz

Foz Senior Member

I bought one 2500HD GMC in Nov last year and 1 in Feb of this year & my dealer set up my trucks for free both times, the messed up the one we bought in Feb & even paid to have it adjusted again & did some work to make up for my tire wear, just depends on the dealer..........Albee Truck - Elmira, NY
  7. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Hey FOZ Kent rules. Happy plowing down there, tell Chris Z. i said Hi.