1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

For the NEWBS. Please read

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by stroker79, Jun 30, 2008.

1. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I just wanted to post this as a beware type thing and what to expect by plowing with your truck. I take really good care of my truck and know how to drive and plow. I have lots of videos to prove my style while plowing.

I own a 2003 Ford F250 Crew Cab Shortbed with the 7.3L powerstroke and auto trans.

I plow with a 8'2" Boss V plow

In the last 10 months I have replaced...........

The trans 2 times (OK there might have been something else wrong but still, expect it.)
    The front bearing/hub assembly
    The outer locking hub
    The balljoints upper and lower on both sides
    All new brake rotors
    All new brake calipers/pads
    Front axle U Joints
    Both batteries
    Shocks still need to get replaced, that will be done soon
    Front swaybar bushings

I do not want this to turn into a brand war, I love my ford and now also own a Chevy. Im not overly biased other than the engine that powers my Ford, thats it, lol

It can happen to any truck and I take care of my stuff, Like I said, I have LOTS of videos to prove it. So just remember if your wanting to get into plowing with your truck, keep this post in mind and also when you figure out your pricing strategy.

This is added in after JDs post.

I did buy the truck used, it was 3 years old then and had a plow bracket on it already. it was previously plowed with however im pretty sure it was not commecially used. I put more wear on the pushbeam in a year that it had when I bought it. Also, the trans blew when I was trying to pull out a stump, lol. It won, I did get revenge 2 days later, lol.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Plowing is hard on your truck but alot of the wear and tear is also from pulling trailers the rest of the year. Pulling a large tandem trailer is just as hard on your truck as a plow. JMO I have a 98 that has plowed since new and the tranny is original.:D
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I think it's all you wifes fault for things breaking when she goes and picks up a case of beer for you, that case will strain any truck!
  4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i think it actually has to snow more than once to have a truck break down......:rolleyes:
  5. stroker79

hahaha your all newbs!!

Icey, I live in a state where icecream is seasonal.

It actually snows here! LOL
  6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think your title should have been "Attn all FORD owners":yow!:
  7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

:D I agree.

I had stuff break but none of it was due to plowing, it was all due to being 10 years old and having 160k on the truck.
  8. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

haha here we go...

to the original post almost all those parts are normal wear parts especially for a 6 year old truck thats probaly seen a plow its whole life by the sounds of it... except the tranny, i think a little abuse was in order for you to drop it twice, or someone screwed up putting it in....
  9. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

cough b.s. cough:D
  10. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

blew the front end out in my truck..i saw it about to go so i traded it in reallll fast lol
  11. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

What new owner say when drove then front end broke? Threat you pay for bill to repair this?

Well Ford truck are sure good. I can't say how many I hide from my Dad use his F250 to pull stump lucky transmission still hold it have 141,000 miles on it. It fail to pull because we broke 3 chains, 2 nylon straps rated to 15,000. He found that when hitch's ball was bend. He say don't use f250 we need that for tow camper trailer that are 33 footer. He was kind mad because he worry if transmission is broke but still held after 15,000 miles but he still check fluid in transmission.

I will post pic of stump later

I say Ford, GMC, DODGE, and other brand are equal quality. I am not say Ford is top but there are lot stuff it best.
  12. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I'd agree. I think all trucks are basically the same. Some may have better strong points, but they are all relatively the same.
  13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

It never ran long enough to plow much snow :D. Now that winter is over, no more problems *knock on wood*
  14. stroker79

Well Chevy guys, Im not plowing with my Chevy cause the entire front end is swiss cheese, The cab floor is rusted out, the rear corners are rusted out, the rear springs are needing to be replaced, and the 4wd front actuator needs to be replaced and a bunch more things. I love the chevy though, haha but its not fit for plowing at all. I want to be fair and unbiased, just thought Id give the common new guy a bit of warning of what to expect, other than front U joints none of that is ford specific.
  15. stroker79

Ha! Yeah Mark, sorry but you should be the last one to talk, haha. Everytime it snows your truck was broken down.. I wish you better luck this yeah though

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i have smoked a few parts in my truck from plowing. front end usually needs to be rebuilt every other year from plowing, clutches go alot faster. u joints from time to time.
  17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ya, I have no room to talk but I wanted to anyway. :D I've got everything setup for this winter that was messed up last winter. Only worry right now is the trans and I already know it may die but this year my boss has backup trucks so he said I will be able to use one of those while mine is down for a few days.
  18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks Chris. I just spit coffee all over my computer. LOL Damn that was funny!
  19. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i dont know i had a dodge dakota the transfer case mount came loose that didnt effect me and my chevy last year was 1 brake line went i never had any trans or diffs go on me
  20. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I had plowed with my k3500 1997 for 10 years. Minor wear and tear. Every spring all fluids and the once over. Most repairs really were nothing more than normal usage issues.

I think an axle seal or two were probably plowing related but, nothing as bad as the stroke master.

But, his point should be heard .... you MUST budget and know there WILL be repairs ... some more than others.