1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

For the newbies like me......

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ian03, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

I see alot of questions about how to find new clients. This is my first year and I was in the same boat as you a month ago. I typed up a very basic letter about my business and my pricing and basically went around to neighborhoods in one general area to keep it easy on me. I just put them in the flag of the mailbox and waited. This was about 2 weeks ago. Anyway, as of last night I am at 14 accounts, 6 of which paid me up front and the other 8 want to do the billing thing after every storm, I gave them both options. I put some stickers on my Xcab windows and have been stopped twice and asked to give estimates, so that seems to be a good 40 bucks I spent on decals. Basically, if you keep on it, you will get the calls. I think I am at my limit for the season. I have never done this before, and I don't want to take any more accounts and not be able to fully handle them. I think the route I have now is about 3-4 hours worth with minimal travel time. Do you veterans out there think this is a decent starting point that I can manage without sacrificing quality of work?
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

To me, the number of hours mean more than the number of accounts in figuring how much work you've got lined up. Yes, I'd say that's a good amount to start with, if you're figuring like a 4" snowstorm. Just remember that it'll take considerably longer with deeper snow.
  3. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Sounds like a good starting point to me. Signs on your trucks really pay off!