1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

For the guys that stock antiskid

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JimMarshall, Jan 8, 2016.

1. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Do you mix salt into it at all for storage?

In a debate with my uncle, he says yes I say its a horrible decision.

2. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

We dont stock it, but the stuff we get at the gravel pit is mixed with brine just so the pile doesn't freeze.

3. lfaulstick

lfaulstick Member
    from PA

No salt..in stocked piles because we use on dirt roads...just suffer through it..and bust up junks with excavator... When we use pea gravel as loading spreader can use windshield washer fluid helps alot...

4. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

The guy I buy my mix from buys 1000 yards every two years, it is premixed 75 sand 25 salt. Makes a mess around the pile as its not covered.

5. JimMarshall

from NW PA

We use it on gravel areas. His contention is that the small amount of salt (5-10% at most) that we mix in helps keep the pile from freezing. My view is that the salt draws more moisture into the skid and makes it freeze worse.

While I was at college I worked part time plowing for a local municipality and they didn't mix salt into their skid until they were loading it and they never had issues with it freezing up like it does for us.

6. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

It's -5 here right now, pile isn't frozen. Are you using washed sand?

7. JimMarshall

from NW PA

The stuff we have issues with is a mixture of a coarse sand up to small pebbles /chip

8. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

I use a fine chipped granite for anti skid. Doesn't hold water like sand so it won't freeze unless it's getting really wet

9. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I'm just curious but do you guys hve to go around clean up the sand/ granite etc in the spring? We run straight salt in my area

10. JimMarshall

from NW PA

We sure do, even our straight salt accounts it gets tracked off the road

11. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Yes, that's why I own 3 pelican sweepers. Jim the sand we use is very fine, so that may be the difference.

12. JimMarshall

from NW PA

Maybe it's the mixture of different sizes that's making it freeze up so bad?

I don't really recall how the antiskid was at the township.

13. TPCLandscaping

TPCLandscaping Senior Member

My sand is a fine non packing sand and its usually mixed 3:1... the guy I'm getting it from this year seems to have added more salt this year. looks like a 2:1 mix. As long as piles are covered i haven't seen them freeze.

14. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Curious if you bill this as an extra service or if you figure it in as part of your normal service?

15. TPCLandscaping

TPCLandscaping Senior Member

i don't know about you, but anything outside of actually plowing snow is an extra service. I sweep in the spring and its all extra. Lawn repair is extra also.

16. JimMarshall

from NW PA

I bill by the hour, using a pickup broom and a couple of laborers.

17. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

X2. Plus dump fees. Spring clean up is hourly