1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

$$$ for Snow Tires

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by northernnewbie, Nov 22, 2006.

1. northernnewbie

northernnewbie Member

WTF!! I live in Shits Creek Maine and the good snow tires (BFG's, Coopers) are going for $200+ EACH. Is this a reasonable price? Would I be better off shopping for tires on the internet?

2. BobC

BobC Senior Member

$170 for Coopers load range E in my area of NY. Online seems cheaper but by the time you ship and get mounted it will probably be the same or more. I prefer to buy local so when and if you need to replace one local dealer will have incentive. Tuff to find a diner to cook the eggs I bring with me.

3. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

You'd be better off Not buying the name brand. If you buy on the internet,, most of your savings will be used up on shipping and then paying someone local to install and balance them. I put 31x10x15's on my truck for $398 out the door at Belle tire. They are made by cooper but have a funky name,, and the tread looks just like the BFG treads,,, They were new be4 last years snow,, I had no problems at all,,, not stuck,, no slip, Plus more money in my pocket. GOOD LUCK!!

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I wish 17" tires were that cheep. They aren't. $860 for 4 snows mounted and thats the "friend" price.:gunsfiring: :cry: payup :dizzy:

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'm not sure where ****'s Creek is, but if you can get to Augusta or where I am (25 miles east of Augusta), I'll check around for you. I looked at your profile and looks like you're wanting 16" tires. The 17" are insane. Anyway, let me know and I'll check around for you. I'm pretty sure I can do better than $200 a tire for Cooper Discoverer M&S 16" tires.

6. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I have a set of Blizzaks with one winter on them, mounted and balanced on Chevy rims, trying to unload em for $350.

7. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

I bought 4 used BFG A\T's 275/65/16's for $120 mounted and balanced they have about or a little less then halve tread left . I think thats a fair deal I looked at walmarts cheapest A\T tire and they were $117 for one.

8. home rescue

home rescue Member
    from wv

Have you looked at wild country brand yet, I have the xtx tread on front of my 1 ton....50,000 mile warranty. They also have a rougher treads if you wish. Load range e also. For two 235x85x16 wher 237.00 + tax, that was mounted and balanced, not bad for 50,000 mile tires.

9. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

I just got a price for 285/65 or 70/ 17's of $179 mounted and balanced. That was for the cooper mud terrain tires.

10. northernnewbie

northernnewbie Member

How are the Firestones vs the Coopers? I hear they're a knockoff of the Coopers, and I found a place in Camden that will sell me a set for just under $500.

Thanks for the advice guys!

11. Grn Mtn

Great looking tire but no siping so not so good in ice/snow.

12. Grn Mtn

Thats like saying how is the Chevy vs the GMC:dizzy: What size and models? I know Cooper makes a bunch of white labels but no Firestones that I am aware of. -been wrong before....:eek:

13. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I bought Wild Country XRT IIs from VIP last winter, not the most aggressive tread, but they actually work great, mud tires are for mud anyway, you don't need super-aggressive for plowing. I only paid $80 a piece for 235-85-16s, load range E. Some of the Wild Country tires are made by Good Year, some by Cooper. I forget which these ones are, I think Cooper. But I've been very happy with the performance and ride of these tires. And $80 was a good deal, considering that I need to buy 6 of them at a time. They also carry a more aggressive tire that they bill as the best snow plowing tire available. I think it's called the XTX or something. $200 a piece is an absolute ripoff. Don't pay for the name, tires are all made by a few select companies and relabeled anyway. Don't think the snow knows what it says on the sidewall. I've priced a lot of tires, and VIP consistently has the best price. I had a set of Futura MTs from Pep Boys a few years back, they were awesome too.

14. Rowski

Rowski Senior Member

15. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

$780 for a set of Good Year wrangar MTR's

16. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Man!
    You guys are paying big dollars for tires!!!LOL
    I guess I should shut up, seens how I just did the same!!!!
    I bought a set of Tires, load e 10 ply for my 3/4 ton, Dodge, and Gave 550.00 mounted and balanced. Not bad I guess. They are the exact same as BFG M/T's but less money.

17. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

144 for bridgestone rts at sears here in NJ

18. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I paid 130 per tire for BFG 265/75/16E Commercial tractions. I mount and balance myself so I can save there but still expensive.

19. jbone

jbone Senior Member

I paid $630 all 4 mounted and balanced 245/75/16 coopers

20. Grn Mtn

what rim size?