1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

? for residential plowing contractors

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by roblandscape, Feb 26, 2003.

1. roblandscape

roblandscape Senior Member
    from Phila

I have about 25 residential driveways I do at an average of 50$ a drive, That includes driveway and sidewalks, I always have a guy with me to use the snow blower while I plow.

I have a few friends that do residential driveways and
    all that they do is plow the driveway, no shoveling, the homeowner is the one who does the sidewalks and shovels out the garage...

What does your service include?

2. A.L. Inc.

A.L. Inc. Member

I also include walks and steps in my pricing. I even have customers who pay me to brush their cars off. I don't mind, they are paying me plenty of money to do it. It's your business, set it up however you want to. Their are lots of people out there who are willing to pay top dollar for services like this. JMO, Mike

3. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

I have a variety, depends on the customer. I do the garage on almost all of the them, and do the walks on a few (older women generally). I'm solo with shovels, so I try not to do too many walks. I won't brush off cars except for my Aunt's, I'm too paranoid that they'll claim I scratched it or something.

4. djh

djh Junior Member

An average drive is around $30.00. Shoveling is extra and is added on to the price depending on how much the customer wants done, front/back walk, front of garage, etc.

5. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

First rule I have.... I dont get out of my truck once I start plowing( unless nature calls ). However I do take my kids with me and they will get out and shovel walkways at a couple of business places we do. I try to stay away from Res. driveways and here is a good example of why.... good friend of mine was plowing some residential "driveways" at the end of his run 2/24, hooked up with some ice on the drive and " Slammed" into the cheap aluminum garage door.....The result is about $650.00 in damage. Yep could happen to anyone ,,,anywhere but its a good lesson to be told. If you think it cant happen to you....well then read the above again :eek: Oh ya ,, to answer the question..around indy most charge $35 - 50 for a driveway.

Kip www.indysnowplowers.com

6. What does your service include?

Around here avg. price is $20-25 to plow and there is an option in the contract for shoveling and salting at an extra charge depending on the size of the walks and drives.

Anyone else in the Rochester, NY area can also chime in, I am also curious for this area.

We have a lot of under cutting by the un-professionals. New ad "$15 includes Drive, walks and mail boxes".

7. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

Our area brings in alot of undercutting has well on resi i personally dont care to do them we have around 35 left and they are all hand picked cream of the crop it has taken several years to weed and feed to get these 35 the minium or smallest paying one is 60.00 and that includes walks all the way up to 125.00 including walks these people never call never ***** i have one truck that handles these jobs with a blowerand shovler on board, they all take salt for any event , guess to me i have structured them to resemble commerical accounts , I am like Kip i really dont like to get out of my truck has far has mother nature calling carry a milk jug for that. I love my commerical accounts love big jobs has ive grown older i just prefer not to grow the resi accounts anymore, ill leave the rest of them for ole whats his name 10 flasker.

8. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I have a lot of residentials and it depends on the customer. I think I have about 5 or 6 that want the walk/steps shoveled I just price accordingly. They are all year round customers and very reliable as far as payment, so I don't mind spending a couple of extra minutes to help them out.

9. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

shoveling

I do all res. I have ONE where I get out to shovel . They dont seem to need shoveling and I am really not interested . I dont think you can charge the same rate for shoveling .. so I would rather crank out driveways

10. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

This reminds me of the "do you shovel in front of the garage thread".

I am a one man/one truck operation with about 50 residential drives. I shovel paths, steps, etc. on about 6 of them. I don't offer the service and it's not included in the price, as stated in the contract. I only do it if they ask. I charge a $10 minimum fee for shoveling. Usually it's 3 steps and a 5x8 deck which takes about 3 minutes. Same/better price than plowing. Being just myself I really can't do too much shoveling and still be efficient.

Just to let you know, my area is in the country so there are no sidewalks. There are also a lot of vacation/summer homes here that don't even get plowed throughout the winter. I'm sure my situation would be different if I lived in the suburbs.

Oh yeah, my prices vary between $25-$50.

-Tim

11. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

well i did walks this year but next year im just going to do driveways,but i really feel your only doing half the job by just doing the driveway

12. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

I personally do not like doing shoveling, just plowing:D , but thats just me.On the other hand if the people want the severice and are willing to pay,if you dont mind, than by all means go for it.

13. chris k

chris k Senior Member

I only do a couple walks here and they are customers I got when I first started plowing for myself 8 years ago. The only way I will shovel now is if the customer is really really old and has absolutly no way to do it themself. Other than that I would rather be in the truck pounding out the drives.

14. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

We used to do shoveling if the customer requested it, but we stopped two years ago. People seem to have the idea that hand shoveling should cost a lot less than plowing the driveway. But if we can get their driveway done in 3 to 5 minutes, and have to spend 10 or 15 minutes shoveling their steps and deck, we could have had three or more driveways done in that same time, so unless they want to pay equal or double the plowing amount to add shoveling, where are we best spending our time? We found a person who does blowing and shoveling as his business, he does not plow. So we refer our customers who request shoveling to him. It works out good for both of us. He has a niche to fill and makes his money off of it, and we can stay in our trucks and keep plowing.

15. drobson

drobson Senior Member

I have about half my accounts that get shoveling done in addition to plowing. When I'm doing a proposal I give them the option with one price for plowing and another for plowing and shoveling. I am like a lot of other people and don't like to shovel or get out fo the truck if I don't have to, but I always have a shoveler with me and he is usually done by the time I finish plowing. If not I can catch up on my notes for the other drives we just completed while he finishes up. Works out well...

16. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

Plow Babe

I absolutely agree with your logic . why lower the rate to shovel because people think you should shovel at the same rate a neighborhood kid would ( If those hardworking kids still exist ) We must treat this as a business not a paper route

17. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

And the door could be a car on a lot. Makes no difference what you can run into, those are irrelavent and part of your job to watch out for.

I do both resi and commercial, but I have more shoveling at the commercials than the resi. But I charge accordingly for it. It's $100 a man hour to shovel, plus potassium chloride. I have to charge more inorder to get the guys to do it. I am not doing it, don't get out of the truck unless I want to.

And for Kip again, I've hit a garage door at both resi and commercial.

18. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

We have several residential that we shovel at, and we do not do any shoveling at any of our commercial. I don't mind getting out to shovel, usually my legs can use the exercise after sitting for several hours.

John

19. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

stretch

my one and only shoveling happens about halfway so it is welcome exercise ! and I don't like cleaning off cars . I have for elderly customers when I first started . I was always concerned about being accused of scratching their paint